Ideas For New T

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok everyone this is more based on your opinion.. im trying to figure out what kind of T wanna tell my old lady to get me for christmas... so for i have

rosehair-
costarican tigerrump-
antiles pinktoe
usumbara
king baboon
mexican redrump

i thining of a nice display T.. outside of the ornamentals..(not ready yet:D )

any input would be sweet.. thanks guys

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I think a Ceratogyrus sp. would be a nice addition to your collection. All of them are nice looking, and in my personal experience, are more in the open then some Pterinochilus sp. . They will work their environment, wich make them interesting.

You can also think about the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ...

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ya the GBB would a be a good choice, p.cancerides is awesome they get pretty big good display t same with a LP and personally with having a p.murinus and king baboon those r both pretty fast n aggresive so if i was you id get a p.reglis all mine are more pron to run then stay and defend they're just fast no fast then ne of my other arboreals

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd get a giant white knee or a brazilian salmon pink. Both get big and like to stay out in the open.

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seanrc, well since you put Usambara's and a King Baboon down as possibles, why not look into Pokies? In my experience, a regalis, she was extremely calm! More calm than my Usambara! If it was me, I would lean towards the Pokies, I didn't think I was ready either but I thought hey what the heck and it worked out beautifully for me, should for you too. But that's just my opinion :D

Brett

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what about brachypelma species? those make great display t's, always out in the open. don't get me wrong, i love all my poecilotherias, but they come out only at night, and not each and every night...
i'd recommend b. emilia or boehmei - or, if your girl has some extra money to spend, annitha (i LOVE mine) or albiceps (ex ruhnaui). those are gorgeous, easy to care for and virtually never hide.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ok everyone this is more based on your opinion.. im trying to figure out what kind of T wanna tell my old lady to get me for christmas... so for i have

rosehair-
costarican tigerrump-
antiles pinktoe
usumbara
king baboon
mexican redrump

i thining of a nice display T.. outside of the ornamentals..(not ready yet:D )

any input would be sweet.. thanks guys
What I dont understand is that you have an Usumbra and a King on the list and yet you say you are not ready for an ornamental. Let me tell you, an Usumbara will make an Ornamental seem like a baby kitten. Pokes arent as bad as what people say about them believe me. One of my 1st spiders was a P regalis and now I have 5 Pokes and they dont hold a candle to any of the African species as far as temperment is concerned.
IMO the best display species are Brachypelma and even Acanthoscurria spp

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Seanrc, well since you put Usambara's and a King Baboon down as possibles, why not look into Pokies?
No, the list is what he already has.

Since its christmas, I'd ask for a Cyriopagopus sp. 'Blue' or even schoedtei. As they both look awesome (But not really the best display T).
Or what about one of the Pamphobeteous?

Last edited:

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
A.geniculata "Giant White knee". You won't be sorry. If you were in the mood for an arboreal I'd say P.irminia a beautiful t but not the best display spiders around (but it would help prep you for ornamentals)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why would you need any "prepping" to get an ornamental? They AREN NOT as bad as what everyone is saying. :)

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why would you need any "prepping" to get an ornamental? They AREN NOT as bad as what everyone is saying. :)
Yeah absolutely - a little bit of respect and they are nothing to worry about... but I'd still get an irminia :)

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Just in terms of dealing with the speed and actually getting oneself comfortable with dealing with a more defensive arboreal. Its more psychological than anything else.

Its better to work your way up than get something you're afraid of dealing with.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Or get a small version of something you're worried about, and invariably you won't then be when it gets to full size as you know it well, and have watched it growing up... should be all the preparation you need... (not that 'knowing' an animal makes any difference to what it might do next, but you'd of course be used to and hopefully comfortable with the speed :))

But yeah - right from the word go, even with the little ones, you gotta watch that speed - its certainly impressive...

Mr Short Radius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think you should get the regalis. If you're looking for a good display animal, the regalis is a great gateway spider to pokies. If you feel comfortable with your P. murinus, than you should really be ready for a regalis. Like Cerbera said, just treat it with respect.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's another vote for a. geniculata. I have one, and I love it. I also think that p. irminia or p. regalis would be great choices, I believe those will be my next two.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
genics are great display spiders and get very large.my adult female is huge and is always out in the open.also my juvie geniculata is aswell.there skilled little hunters and are fun to watch.great spider to add to your collection.not to expensive eithor

maarrrrr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
get a pokie. they are not very defensive as people say. they hide rather than bite.