Brachypelma Smithi

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought a mexican red knee a few months ago and was wondering at what stage it can be sexed.

it is about 4 inches in length now, im not exactly sure about the age

it has moulted 2x since i bought it and looks like it is about to moult again.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The best way to sex a T is to look at the Exuvium after the molt and between the two forward booklungs on the underneath side of the abdomen, you need to look for a leaf like protrusion. That's called the Epigastirc Furrow. If there is a leaf like extension, It's a female. If not, it's a male. It's possible to see signs of this when the T is pretty small so you should have no trouble finding it on a four inch T's exoskeleton. Hope this helps.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the advice...ill look around the site at a few images of males and females in the sexing section and see if i can find what i should be looking for

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how do i upload an image in the sexing section?

do i just click on the upload tab or would that upload it somewhere else lol?

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

do you think it would be best to post images here to try and get it sexed or the sexing forum (is that very active?)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Put it where it belongs. If you are asking for sexing you better put it in that section because if you don't they will. Enough people look at that part but there are not as many replys:D

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have uploaded the image into the sexing forum....hopefully somebody will know what it is :D

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
really...great news :D

thanks

could you somehow point out what it is that lets you know the sex?

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
really...great news :D

thanks

could you somehow point out what it is that lets you know the sex?
You see the little flap of skin in between the first set of booklungs? Only females have that.

Last edited:

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha couldnt ask for an explanation any clearer than that

thanks again....i can now sleep happy :D

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha couldnt ask for an explanation any clearer than that

thanks again....i can now sleep happy :D
Yea alot of people make it sound harder than it is. Not every species is as easy as this tho. The more familiar you get with looking at different spermathecae (thats what that little flap of skin is called), the easier it gets. Glad i could help.

raven89

Arachnopeon
lucky ass man, i got my first T too B.bohemei but it turn out to be a male , what luck man. By the way how much did u pay for the red knee?

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think it was around £20 im not too sure tho it was a couple of months ago

im thinking about getting a T.Blondi soon (when i find space for another tank lol)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think it was around £20 im not too sure tho it was a couple of months ago

im thinking about getting a T.Blondi soon (when i find space for another tank lol)
Great picture by the way........ what kind of camera were you using? I have alot of smithi myself. Great species. :D

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im not sure what type of camera it was...i tried with my samsung 2megapixel phone but it wasnt good enough so i used my girlfriends 6megapixel digital camera

i had to reduce the size and quality a bit to get it to the 2mb file size limit lol