Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" sling question

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK, ive been told they burrow as slings, and become arboreal as they grow. My sling is about 1" right now, and so far its always on the cork bark, usually near the substrate, but never in it. Sometimes its up in the middle or on the vial, and there is webbing near the higher point of the bark (so that means at night its at least venturing up there). Is this normal or is my sling stressed out and thats why it hasn't been acting like they normally do as slings?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I have five slings, and none of them burrow. What they have done though is take all the substrate and build itricate web/dirt tunnels all the way up their containers. It does take a while for them to start doing this, so depending on how long you have had it, it sounds normal to me.:)

RichardG

Arachnopeon
Sounds ok to me (some of mine to the same). Remember the "burrowing as slings" belief should be taken with a pinch of salt (we aren't talking obligate burrowers here {D ). A small Cyriopagopus spiderling in a tree rot-hole is bound to excavate into the rotten wood/debris (within a large rot-hole) to create a retreat to its required dimensions. They are adaptable blighters :D

The latest BTS journal has a 15-page article covering keeping and breeding captive Cyriopagopus species.

Hope that puts your mind at rest,
Richard

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is there anyway i could read that article online, i would love to see what they say

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if you join the BTS as an online member the journals are available online .