Clear hides?

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, I put in a clear container inside my P. murinu's tank so when she webs up, I can see her. Are there anything negative about see-through hides?

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Er yes, I would agree. A clear hide, isn't. Or at least not until it is SO covered in webbing that it is. And then you can't see anyway :)

Nope - spiders like the dark, and need somewhere dark and safe to go.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Using a clear hide kinda defeats the purpose of having a hide. Your P murinus will web that thing up where you cant see it anyway

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cerbera and Brian are right. Mine is in a K.K. and she's got webbing wall to wall so thick there is no way for me to tell where she is at. She'll even web up all the access to the inside so I have no Idea how she gets in or out. The only benefit for her and me is when I put a cricket in the cage, she feels it and is on it in seconds. That's pretty cool to watch because of the speed.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are you using the clear hide .. the one that looks like a cave but looks as if its cut in half?..that would be fine..but otherwise.;.everyone is right

Doezsha

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you can always use a half log hidse and put on end agenst one wall of your encloseyer and tape a peace of card board/ dark paper thats the width and hight of the back side of the hide,to the outside of the tank to block the light thus making the hide dark/ safr feeling for your T. If your lucky it will not be to much webbing on the back wall wen you remove the cardboard to peak in. I dont know if that would work but its a thought.:)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you are probably mostly hosed for visiblity with a P. murinus... but a lot of other species work well with a visible hide, like this:

i keep the cage in a pretty dark topless plastic tote most of the time and a lot of the kind of burrow of opportunity types won't really web up the view into their burrow