Premier Pro-Moss good?

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone bought this type of peat moss? It's called Premier Pro-Moss Horticulrue. I bought it from Home Depot, and it comes in 3.8 cubic feet packages, a big black plastic bag and it's about 9 bucks. It doesnt say if it has any additives, chemicals or fertilizers for growing flowers. So has anyone used it? I'll keep it sealed in case if it's not suitable and maybe returning it.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it doesnt say what is in it, I would say dont get it. You could ask someone there at the store but thats no guarantee :rolleyes: . I would suggest getting compacted coconut bark from a pet store. Its cheaper, it works just fine, and peat moss can be environmentally destructive to acquire.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ya, I haven't opened the bag...there's a 1800 number on there, and I'll call them to ask about the contents tomorrow when their guys go to work...:8o

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
peat moss can be environmentally destructive to acquire? please explain so~ :eek: I dont find any coconut substrate for sell here in texas...:wall:

Count Tarantula

Arachnopeon
This is what I use

I get my peat moss from home depot to. I use Canadian sphagnum peat moss. ON the back of the package it says Contains 100% Sphagnum Peat Moss. That stuff works great for me. I agree with everyone else, If It doesn't say the ingredients or if if doesn't say 100% Peat Moss, I would take the chance.:embarrassed:

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just called their technical support. It's also sphagnum peat moss from Canada...and it's totally nature, but somewhat acidic with a pH of 4. so I guss it's usable~ ;)

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use canadian sphagnum too. Works for me. Coco fibre is good but expensive. For things that burrow, peat moss is the way to go. Its cheap and there's alot in the bag. The stuff i get is like $3 compared to the same type stuff at the pet store which costs like $10 and you get like half the amount. When you have a big collection its just not practical to buy that stuff.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just called their technical support. It's also sphagnum peat moss from Canada...and it's totally nature, but somewhat acidic with a pH of 4. so I guss it's usable~ ;)
All peat is fairly acidic which is why it resists molds. This is basically all I use.