Plug-in air fresheners

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hate these things, a few days ago my wife bought one [by Glade] the type that you plug in and it heats some kind of fragrant oil and is supposed to spread a pleasant smell around the house. My T's and Scorps are down stairs, this is upstairs on the landing/hallway. Our house is well ventilated but I wonder if anyone has heard of any adverse effects from these on their inverts? Feel free to call me a dork if I am being over cautious!

D

:)

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't Say that I've heard anything....The Spray ones I've heard can cause a bit of damage though...

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think you have anything to worry about. My wife has one upstairs, and my T.'s are downstairs, and everything has been fine. Of course, my dog knocked the stupid thing out of the outlet, and the oil spilled down the furnace register in my kitchen, so now whenever the heat kicks on I smell the stuff :(

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm. I wouldn't let it pass, personally. Just my own instinct and based on no experience or facts, but that's why I keep all my T's in their own room, so they never have to come into contact with either jos-sticks, smoke, scented candles, or the glade plug-in stuff... Again, I have nothing to prove its not fine, but I wouldn't.

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for your replies !
The T's are in my downstairs hallway but tucked under the stairs, arranged around my PC workstation. The front door is about 15 feet away and the area has good ventilation. I think they will be ok but I have persuaded the wife that these air fresheners are not too good for the kids [ one has asthma] and that seemed to concern her more than my T's needs.
Cheers !

{D

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Absolutely brilliant. Do it for the kids. I will shortly be explaining to my flatmate that me getting an H. maculata will surely help with his astonomy hobby :)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have one in the same room as the Ts since my dog likes to pee in my bedroom :wall: I've had no adverse effects whatsoever.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you need a pleasant scent, peel an orange or boil a cinnamon stick. I know that I clog up on air fresheners; the asthma concerns are more than valid. Particulate pollution, which is what these oil jobbers produce, is a bad idea for any animal including Homo sapiens, no matter how good it smells.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have one of those. It's probably the same one you have, has a little fan inside of it that blows the heated scent all over. I have a studio so everything is in one big room, the inverts and the air freshner are on opposite sides and I haven't ever had any problems. Slings, full grown T's, scorps etc etc...

-edit-
I also have a celing fan directly over the enclosures to prevent mold and increase airflow (which works awesome if you haven't tried that or if you have a problem with mold) and that could keep the air freshner scent from getting to them much.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you need a pleasant scent, peel an orange or boil a cinnamon stick. I know that I clog up on air fresheners; the asthma concerns are more than valid. Particulate pollution, which is what these oil jobbers produce, is a bad idea for any animal including Homo sapiens, no matter how good it smells.
Very good call!!! There are plenty of natural ways to do this. No matter what form you take, using these products is putting chemicals in the air. While the levels might not be significant for humans (no clue on this one), I'm sure they cant be great for smaller beings.

I like putting a bunch of cinnamon in water and just simmering it. Had a few mishaps boiling it and ruined a pot, but simmering works great....nice scent throughout the place and ups the humidity a bit too!

Herp_girl

Arachnopeon
I don't have a spider (yet), but my reptiles live in my bedroom. I don't even use hairspray around them. Perfume gets put on as I am about to leave the house, and I avoid scented body lotions just in case. Possibly over cautious, but I don't want to risk anything.

Lilija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have one of those oil air fresheners right in the next room from my all my tank critters, Ts and reptiles alike. Hasn't posed a problem, yet, and we're over 2 years now, with the same setup. I think the particulate it puts out is negligable, unless you're right on top of the thing.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The problem with Particulate pollution is at first it dosen't seem to cause problems , but after a while when it accumulates in the system of a person or animal it can cause health problems. I read a little not too long ago about particulate pollution and other pollutions in the home

prey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ionic breeze

I thought it appropriate to ask this on the existing air freshener thread. My wife and I are both going on "the patch" as a part of our "New Year's resolutions". We keep our T's in their own room. In addition to a heater and a humidifier, I put in a small air ionizer to purify their space. The only thing I wonder about is: though ionization can clean the air, particles not captured by the "collection grid" seem to collect on surfaces as fallout. I hope it does them good, rather than causing their book lungs to deal with larger particles. Moot point when we quit smoking in the house for *our* good, but it just makes me curious. Wish I could shed *my* lungs.:rolleyes:

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have an ionic breeze air purifier in my t room. i have one in the bedroom too. i love them, they keep my allergies down...anyway

my wife lights incense and uses scented wax candles in the room next to the t room. i never close the door because the ionic breeze takes care of any smell from the candles.

those plug in air fresheners are bad for anything living. and not recommended in homes with pets. there was an article from some pet organization calling for a warning on the package not to use them near pets. because of this i stay clear of them. not to mention the fact that they have been known to start fires...

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just be careful with the air purifier near the humidifier. moisture on the collection grid can cause a crackling noise and can damage the unit. you should turn the unit off when using the humidifier or when a window is open.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
never had a problem with plug in air fresheners...2 bedroom 1 story apt, had air fresheners in three outlets throughout the apt. Have even had them plugged in in the small bedroom where my T's are for a few days at a time, no adverse effects whatsoever. I doubt they are harmful...now, if you spray some aerosol form of air freshener around, that could be harmful if sprayed close enough to their tanks.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
scented dispensers

I only use incense sticks and scented candles in my trailer. I burn the incense and candles one room away from my Ts and they seem fine, been doing this for 2 years.

ZOKU

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
*shrug*

I have an air purifier in my T room...

prey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ionizer

Apologies to the OP for distracting from the plug-ins, but much thanks for the ionizer advice. Also, I'd been wondering if ionizers consolidate ambient H2O at all like they do other particles. If the collection grid wants to grab it, it seems it must facilitate condensation elsewhere in the room (like it does other particles). I'm relatively new to the higher humidity T's, so I'll be feeling things out. I'll certainly take the advice about not running one concurrent with a humidifier.
Some new higher temps I've adopted for H. lividum certainly have me on my toes for fungus now (observing at least twice daily). :eek: