How few eggs?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How few eggs will a centipede hold on to? My largest bluering/yellowleg has been upside downish under a coconut hide for about 3 days now. Kinda looks like the upper portion of the body is curled with the head resting on the body.
Looks like psedo classic posture, but what do you guys think? Now remember no contact has been made for at least two years with another centi and I have heard clutches born under parthanogenisis can be small.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a good question. It'd be interesting to take them all away and then introduce one to the mother pede and see what she does with it.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
J Morningstar said:
How few eggs will a centipede hold on to?
No idea on the exact amount,... but every small clutch off eggs (+/-10 orso) has been eaten by the mothers so far in my care.

Elytra and Antenna said:
Has anyone produced babies from a captive-reared female? Long term sperm storage would more likely result in fewer babies over time (small clutch).
yes, 2 generations Sc.subspinipes by now, and i agree.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do believe she munchiewunchied them with a tick of toast:mad:
From what I could tell she probably had less than 10

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
2 generations Sc.subspinipes
I checked around on the board and didn't see a reference. Who says they had eggs develop from a captive reared female that never contacted another animal and is there any sort of supporting information?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I checked around on the board and didn't see a reference. Who says they had eggs develop from a captive reared female that never contacted another animal and is there any sort of supporting information?
look on euro boards. i actually have a cbb S. subspinipes that made its way to me from europe eventually. it is ~4"BL now

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Who says they had eggs develop from a captive reared female that never contacted another animal and is there any sort of supporting information?
Can you be more clear what you're getting at again ?
Proof of parthanogenisis ? or proof of Cbred ?
Cause when you're talking about Cbred, they do need contact, don't they ?

A case of parthanogenisis can be found here on the boards if i remember correctly with a Sc.heros, and it would surprise me, you never had a case of Cbred (not Cborn) plings yourself.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Can you be more clear what you're getting at again ?
Proof of parthanogenisis ? or proof of Cbred ?
Cause when you're talking about Cbred, they do need contact, don't they ?

A case of parthanogenisis can be found here on the boards if i remember correctly with a Sc.heros, and it would surprise me, you never had a case of Cbred (not Cborn) plings yourself.
Proof of parthenogenesis. If you say you've done it I'd believe you, if you just heard a story it would be nice to know if there's any real evidence. The six year time period between batches on the heros claim is highly dubious and it was a wild caught adult female which makes parthenogenesis only a possible theory. Any breedings I've had from captive raised or captive born adults accompany a mating attempt (though that doesn't discount parthenogenesis I've never seen all adults in a breeding group set down to laying eggs).

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Proof of parthenogenesis.
can't help ya with that, i just thought of the Heros case but i haven't reread the topic for some time.
Any breedings I've had from captive raised or captive born adults accompany a mating attempt
same here, but i did had egglaying females before without mating or contact with others,... but all were eaten quickly after. (cause they were infurtile ???)
I've never seen all adults in a breeding group set down to laying eggs
maybe cause there are also males ?