Nhandu chromatus

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just got a N. chromatus for christmas today, i've looked up all the basics for her but i was wondering if anyone has experience with them and what i should know besides temp/humidity/aggression

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just got a N. chromatus for christmas today, i've looked up all the basics for her but i was wondering if anyone has experience with them and what i should know besides temp/humidity/aggression

Nice spider. Its pretty basic care for them. I keep mine on slightly damp peat with a shallow water dish and a decent sized hide. i have not found mine ot be aggressive but very skittish. The slightest disturbanace sends it running like a madman in all directions around its shoebox. Friends of mine have said the urtiticating hairs of this species bothered them more than that of T. blondi, but I have nt had this problem. Oh yea, they seem to like to have a piece of bark or something like that to make a hide under. Other than that they seem to be a very hardy spider and grow fairly fast. Enjoy the new critter.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Hedorah mostly, though I kept mine from sling to maturity on pretty dry substrate with a water dish. They are aggressive eaters and mostly fast growers. They are indeed quite skittish and fast and not a T I would recommend handling. Also flick a lot of hairs. But they are beautiful. A great xmas present!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i also have a mature female of that ssp. very easy to care for,but mine is alittle aggressive,she rears up when i go near her to put water in her dish{D and man can she put away the crickets.she's pretty quick too{D awesome spider.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have one myself and I have nicknamed her Satans spawn. Good grief its a mean one. Does not back down from anything, but like mentioned above if there is a slight disturbance she books it to her hide. I keep her in a dry cage with a large water dish. And she eats like she is on roids. Striking T though and a great Christmas present!

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had an adult female for about 2 years. She had the temperament of a haplopelma. Threat displays all the time, but quite a beautiful T. I traded her for an A. Metallica to a breeder.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice t you got, looks exactly like mine ;). i keep mine on mostly dry substrate with a medium water dish and don't overfeed her (she'd eat anything, anytime). mine seems to have stood back when temperament was handed out, though... she's always outside, she never even moves when i open the tank to give her water, i've never had a threat display from her, and you have to nudge her for her even to consider flicking hairs :p. so good luck with yours!

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You just never know from one of these to the next. They can be faster than you think and just depends on the disposition on the one you have. You will learn and see if it is more skittish or more aggressive the more you observe it. Most of mine are aggressive and will pose a threat display instantly. Some others are skittish and will run and hide for cover the minute the container is opened. So far I have not had one that will just sit there for any period of time. You will just find out in time what kind of temperment you have with yours. I love the colorations of these and the growth rate is faster than most other T's. I however have a male and in the next few molts will mature out to what I can figure out. I do however have females waiting and I have already had 1 successful egg sac during the summer. Good luck with your percious one!