removal of excuvium..

Remi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well i woke up today to see that my avic spiderling has molted for the second time in my care :D
it was just over an inch before the molt and i havent got any pics or measurements yet but i'll be sure to get some ;)
the one thing is that its sitting right ontop of the excuvium.. would it be a bright idea to disturb the T to remove the old skin.. or better to just let it sit?
I'm just worried about it rotting or molding.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i would just leave it until the spider either moves it, or moves itself. you can always get it out of there later. i have slightly disturbed some to get a molt..but never one that was sitting physically on top of the exuvium. :D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I always just take it out, I dont think its that big of a stress to remove the molt. Plus it gives you a better chance to sex the T when the skin is still soft.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
I always just take it out, I dont think its that big of a stress to remove the molt. Plus it gives you a better chance to sex the T when the skin is still soft.
well you can just gently moisten the exuvium with water and it will be malleable. if the spider JUST molted and is sitting on the exuvium..i would wait a bit before moving it personally.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wouldnt move it. if it JUST molted then the exo skeleton hasnt had time to harden up. i wouldnt worry about mold on it unless you keep the enclosure really moist. i would just wait a few days...the T should move...if after a few days ( a week ) it still hasnt moved (highly unlikely) then i would nudge it off and remove the exuvium