Frogs and Toads - Advice needed

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Asking a question for my mum.

She works at a child care center and have in the past kept Tree frogs (White's free frogs or white tree frogs are what they're sold as) But now we're looking for another species to try in another tank. Something hardy, and not gray or dark brown for the sake of keeping kids interested. Any ideas?

Thanks!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it doesnt have to be a tree frog, may I reccomend a pacman frog.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cuban tree frogs get big and a pretty golden color. If you don't want that, I'd get an asian green back. The pac man is nice but they get humongous {D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd second the pacman frog idea. Specifically a big C. ornata with its bright green yellow and black/brown. Plus they are undeniably cute.

Firebelly toads may also be good, but the pacmans body shape gives it an edge.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say that firebellied toads are realy easy to keep.... and munch any cricket straight away that dares to step near it..... never kept pac mans though...

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Firebellied are indestructable given a half decent environment.
Pac-man are awesome but dont do half as much... + they arent communall from what i have read...and i believe it too, lol

edventurous77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a communual tank ob bombina (fire bellied toads) truly is a lovely set up, they are quite active at times an almost always on display, there colouration is beautiful. pacmas while extremely beautiful dont do alot and so can be boring for kids. if you want something aboreal you could stray from a frog/toad and get an anole tho with there setups they wil cost more

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I vote firebellies.... im always entertained by them..... they like to argue and call to eachother and they will hunt non stop! btw they are more fun if you have a half land half water set up. so you can see them swin and see their underbwellies properly!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd go with the firebelly toads. The pac man frog can bite hard enough to break skin, and this wouldn't score any brownie points with the parents.

Why not get some sort of cheap lizard? Chances are, the kids will want to handle the frogs and handling hurts them.

What about a waxy monkey tree frog? I've heard that they're pretty hardy (not up on my amphibians, so correction is appreciated if I'm wrong) and pretty unusual.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a Ceratophrys cranwelli (pacman) as well as firebellies and a Pyxie frog too.. I would recommend firbellies for a classroom.. pacmans can be tricky when it comes to feeding and avoiding ingestion of substrate etc. a communal firbelly tank would be best.. you could even add some firebelly newts to spice it up.. and the "toads" will be croaking up a storm which the kids will like Im sure.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Firebellies all the way, they are colorful and easy to care for, and you can keep more than one together, unlike pacmans which are cannibalistic.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys! Firebellies it is.

The reason no lizards is we are dealing with some seriously whimpy teachers and parents who would throw a hissy fit at the sight of a anole or any other similar critter. But most people don't seem to be scared of frogs/toads, or at least ones behind glass.

And they won't be handled, they're just for looking at. This is a 3-4 year old class who love their 'froggies'.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not to mention if an anole escapes, it can be pretty hard to catch again. They are jumpy and hard to handle without injuring them.