usambara baboon orange

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi thinking of geting a 3ins usambara baboon ( orange ) just how bad or not are they to keep ? - phil

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is this your first Old World Spider? if so....i would recommend caution. they are VERY fast and their venom is quite potent. (read some of the bit reports on this site) but....they are very easy to keep...require very little and are great display spiders. they rage greatly from spider to spider in their actions. some will borrow others are terrestrial others are semi-arboreal...and some are a combination of all of these. they like it very dry.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just got one for christmas and it mad it self a web cacoon and only comes out at night.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just been reading the bites reports :eek: and all i can say is no no no no no no way its the spiderling of the devil:eek: :evil: :evil: i will stay with my red knees:worship: :worship: :worship: - phil

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just been reading the bites reports :eek: and all i can say is no no no no no no way its the spiderling of the devil:eek: :evil: :evil: i will stay with my red knees:worship: :worship: :worship: - phil
ha ha!!! dont let it scare you...it commands respect yes....but as with all animals they very from spider to spider. i have a HUGE female ( 5 1/2") and she actually crawled up my arm one day when i was cleaning her tank ( now keep in mind i DID NOT do this intentionally!!! i wasnt paying attention and had my had draped in her tank and was talking to my g/f and the next thing i know i feel 8 little feet on my hand....i almost FREAKED!!! but i stayed calm and SLLLLLOOOOOWLY turned my hand around and let her crawl back into her tank...my heart rate was up for about 3 hours!!! ha ha!! {D )

but they really are great spiders..fun to watch and beautiful!!! but i would get another old world T first to get some experience with them. maybe an H. Lividium (cobalt blue) they are aggressive as hell too but not quite as fast (in my experience)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While I am like Phil and have only stuck with smithi....... I recently started braching out and got three murinus slings and I have to admit they are fun to watch. Mine are about 1.5" maybe a little less and they web like crazy and when you feed them they are aggressive and fun to watch. They eat like hogs and grow like them too. I have enjoyed them so far.
~Ryan

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks but i am still hiding behind the sofa! lol think i go play with the red knees :worship: :clap: lol phil

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks but i am still hiding behind the sofa! lol think i go play with the red knees :worship: :clap: lol phil
If your apprehensive of a defensive T then you probably don't need to have it. Given time, you run into questionable encounters with your more docile ones and then have one with a little temper will seem like it's not so hard to handle. I'm gonna say one day I'll see a post from you telling us how much you love your new P. murinus. ;)

cryosi

Arachnopeon
Hi I just bought 2 slings of Pterinochilus murinus, i got some other fast and slightly aggresive T's so knew what i was in for. They look great as adults and look forward to watching them grow :rolleyes:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a 2.5" OBT and a 1.5" OBT all Ive got to say is So angry!!!!!!!!!!!!! the 2.5" T. is always throwing threat displays when it isnt hiding.I got a fun pic of him just this morning

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
is this normal? mine does nothing. twice i seen it out at night.
Sounds pretty normal to me. I don't hardly ever see mine. Most T's will just sit and relax until they want to eat or drink so yours must be pretty happy and cozy where it's at.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P. murinus female is defensive when she feels threatened, aggressive when prey is present (only toward the prey), and hidden in her web when nothing is going on around her. When she emerges to take crickets or roaches, she is gorgeous. And when it comes to husbandry, these tarantulas are bomb proof. But if you are bitten, I hear they will put you to your knees, (according to a friend who was bitten at the right elbow). I have had mine for years and I would not hesitate to recommend the species to anyone with a little common sense.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My P. murinus female is defensive when she feels threatened, aggressive when prey is present (only toward the prey), and hidden in her web when nothing is going on around her. When she emerges to take crickets or roaches, she is gorgeous. And when it comes to husbandry, these tarantulas are bomb proof. But if you are bitten, I hear they will put you to your knees, (according to a friend who was bitten at the right elbow). I have had mine for years and I would not hesitate to recommend the species to anyone with a little common sense.
In terms of being only aggressive to prey in your case(lucky you!); I'm sure not all OBTs limit their aggression to preys as they can go psycho to the fingers..lol, it's one of the staple species that always demand respect for it's reputation,personality and attitude, i think it's the best version of a mini beast...:D

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Before I got my first OBT, i was really reluctant at first. Having read all these write ups about it being crazy and all that. Now that i had her already for quite sometime. Not a day goes by that I don't appreciate it's sheer beauty. Bright orange color, and beautiful markings on the carapace and opisthosoma. Just always there to greet me. Of course, let's not forget the attitude, it's a great way to show my visitors the differences between an aggressive and non aggressive T. Mine's more inclined to bite first. But still I LOVE her!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I must be lucky...my p.murinius isnt aggressive at all!! not even towards prey. she goes after prey about like a hungry g.rosea does. quickly yes...but not aggressively. never has shown any signs of aggression. lucky me huh?! :D

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I must be lucky...my p.murinius isnt aggressive at all!! not even towards prey. she goes after prey about like a hungry g.rosea does. quickly yes...but not aggressively. never has shown any signs of aggression. lucky me huh?! :D
Well looks like you got a rare OBT, the Orange Baboon Teddybear..;P