help now needed again sorry.

missy

Arachnopeon
i just wanted to find out if this Mombassa golden starburst is an arboreal or not, sorry to be pain.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
missy, try using the scientific names - the common names my differ widely, as you saw in you last thread. people just don't know what kind of t you mean. before you tell us what exactly the t you're talking about is, it's impossible to help you. then certainly no one will mind you asking as many questions as you want.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry , Pterinochilus murinus RCF.
no. p. murinus is a terrestrial/burrowing spider. mine hasnt burrowed and its a BIG female. it really just depends on the spider. some burrow...some dont. but they are NOT aboreal.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
give it very dry substrate to burrow in and some kind of hide (for example half a flower pot). it also should have a water dish and they usually love plastic or real plants to hide in. but be careful, those are NASTY :D - and have quite potent venom, as well.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually P. murinus are generally classified as semi-arboreal. This means they may establish burrows or establish a tube web on something that is elevated in a manner similar to an arboreal tarantula. It really depends on the tarantula as well as its environment.

missy

Arachnopeon
what sort of tank then , one like this picture one

or picture two

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
then go for the first one if it falls should be ok i hope so you just got do what you think is best i am :confused: - phil

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah...they dont know what they are talking about. its sad but, all too often, true that alot of pet stores, online vendors, etc. dont know much about the animals they sell. this isnt always true. but alot of times is.

Probably true in most cases, but Daniel who runs the Tarantula shop knows more than most about Tarantulas.
He has been breeding them for yonks. I suggest the person buying from him should give him a call, he is always very helpful with questions. I know, I've asked many times..... :)

Last edited:

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
RCF murinus are definatley semi arboreal . I have had about 20 and not one of them has burrowed once it has reached 1.5" legspan a few have as spiderlings. I keep them in quite a tall container with enough substrate to burrow if they want. They produce some brilliant complex webs to climb in too
On the other hand all the normal form P murinus I have had ( About 10 ) have burrowed.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
These are without a doubt highly opportunistic spiders.

You may keep them as arborial, terrestrial or fossorial dwellers - they largely adapt to anything you can throw at them.

I prefer to see them kept arboreally, for selfish reasons I suppose - it looks far more interesting. :)