POLL: Yellow sac spider bites and opinions (Cheiracanthium spp.)

Have you been bitten by Cheiracanthium?

• no

Votes: 36 75.0%
  • yes, and it was no big deal

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • yes, and it caused minor symptoms

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • yes, and it caused major symptoms

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
I need some info/opinions about Cheiracanthium for my website. This is the only spider in my life that I've disliked and I am trying hard to get over that. It's unfair and highly unlike me. I constantly read info about bites from this genus, and I am wondering whether any of this info should go on my website. My website is intended to be informative, but also to promote positive feelings for spiders. Spider Bob said he's been bit tons of times and never reacted as the articles imply. See the following sites:

Obviously I wouldn't like to a page called a spider a "pest":
http://www.pestcontrolmag.com/pestco...l.jsp?id=42129

http://entomology.uark.edu/museum/sacspider.html

http://www.ajtmh.org/cgi/content/abstract/74/6/1043

http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/yellosac.html

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was bitten, but suffered only mild, temporary stinging and a slight bump. ( the specimen was very small, and was not held against my skin: it was a free-handling accident in which it bit me spontaneously, and obviously did not inject much venom. )

My sister was bitten, and you can read her bite report here:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=68817

I was present to observe the symptoms and her general condition. The bite report is accurate: she was on crutches for quite some time.

I can provide other, almost identical bite reports if you would like. Bottom line on Cheiracanthium is they are nasty! --nasty nasty nasty!! :mad: :evil:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, i have a few spots that might be a slightly cytotoxic bite site, but i never saw the culprit and would not want to venture a guess of venom versus a ton of other more abundant and likely sources of cytotoxism.

i do free handle all the cheira i encounter though ;)

zoom

i will try to goad some bites next time i come across one of these fellas

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's funny ...I must remove a half dozen of these things from the lab monthly and never had one offer to bite. P.S. don't tell the lab directors, I don't kill the spiders but release them outside.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yellows and recluses

we have both yellow sac and brown recluse where i work. of all the spiders to have around the job , it has to be two with nasty bites. yet, i dont kill them i like spiders they get tossed out the door

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i hear their venom is kinda nasty (recluse like symptoms) but they are not very aggressive or fast. handling-friendly (unless of course you squish it, then it will definitely bite!)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i hear their venom is kinda nasty (recluse like symptoms) but they are not very aggressive or fast. handling-friendly (unless of course you squish it, then it will definitely bite!)
the spider in that pic is named Seven Yellow Lightning Bolts because it was so freakin quick ;)

i would agree that they are very retreating, though

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the spider in that pic is named Seven Yellow Lightning Bolts because it was so freakin quick ;)

i would agree that they are very retreating, though
I've kept a few of these. Cacoseraph is correct ...when they choose to move fast...they can really fly. ;)

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A couple quotes from Darwin Vest's ( arachnologist ) website, hobospider.org:

"Yellow sac spiders are among the least known clinically significant spiders, but they are indeed capable of causing a painful bite with development of a necrotic lesion (not as severe as the brown recluse or hobo), and can sometimes produce systemic effects as well."

And especially:

"They are very prone to bite defensively (more so than any other significantly venomous U.S. spider)"

They aren't just fast, they're MEAN suckers!!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, of course i only have limited experience... but my local species (C. mildei, i think...) is just as retreating as all the other spiders i have played with. more so, if anything... those things can SCOOT!

orcrist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A friend of mine recieved a painful but inconsequential bite from one of these when we were young.

I haven't even seen one in about a year. :(

Coastalsavvy

Arachnopeon
yellow sac spiders

The home I grew up in became infested with them about 7 yrs ago--they loved to hang out in the kitchen (Im sure they came in through the back door) This was before I knew anything about them and their toxicity, but we'd catch and release a few a day in the summertime. Anyway, I've never been bitten as far as I know,but if I have, there were no real reactions. I have had several on me (trying to catch them) and they dont seem to be as aggressive and defensive as they are made out to be. Like any other spiders, I think they'd just like to get away from the big bad humans.:}

Good luck on getting over your dislike of them!

YellowSacVictim

Arachnopeon
Wow... i've been bitten over 20 times in the last few months by yellow sacs - luckily so far i've experienced only minor dermonecrosis, yet one bite is on my leg and it doesn't hurt but the vein has turned a darker color and seeing that your sister was on crutches??? is VERY unsettling. because i'm aware these bites can escalate into staph infections..... can you please tell me what happened? thank you

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I am sorry but their bites are a bit over exaggerated in my opinion. Either that, or I do not have very sensitive skin.

Here is my female yellow sac spider :) she mated very recently with one of my males. So I'm hoping she is gravid :D

[video=youtube;xmNSdr0POvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmNSdr0POvE[/video]

For the ones that can't see the video^ click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmNSdr0POvE

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Crutches.. lol

I wouldn't cite anything from Hobospider.org. very inaccurate information there... -_-

Any spider bite can become a necrotic sore if you dont wash the bite, and scratch at it like a tweeker in withdrawal..

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Perspective

Recently I've been reviewing my paramedic books and some of the med calls I've been on over the years and talk about overblown unreal, the commentaries about this spider and that spider being this or that hazard, in comparison to the common every day hazards people encounter...
IT'S FREAKING RIDICULOUS!

The yellow sac spider is in my house! THE HORROR. Okay, cool. Did you get at least 1 hour of serious exercise every day this year? No? Hrrm. Deduct a few months off your expected lifespan then. And to be generous, 30 seconds off for every Yellow Sac Spider bite.

The bottom line in a rough analogy is we are all living in houses filled with hand grenades and curious monkeys while gnashing our teeth in angst over the possibility of falling out a window while sneezing.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, i have a few spots that might be a slightly cytotoxic bite site, but i never saw the culprit and would not want to venture a guess of venom versus a ton of other more abundant and likely sources of cytotoxism.

i do free handle all the cheira i encounter though ;)

zoom

i will try to goad some bites next time i come across one of these fellas
Hey Man Its been awhile!

I actually have forced these to bite me to no effect, mostly from curiosity, They heavily inhabit my current residence, they have actually become a favoured food of my Carpenter ant nest I've been rearing, which means getting bit.. a lot. As no self respecting spider wants to be thrown into a hungry ant nest.