What species was your first tarantula?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know there are probably many threads about this topic but, I would like to start a more current one.

My first tarantula was: Avicularia Avicularia (Adult Female) 1996

What was yours?

Last edited:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
mine was the same..it molted a few times then stopped eating and died though :(

rice_smuggler

Arachnopeon
Mine was a tiny B. vagans sling that came free with the purchase of an M. martensii scorpion back in mid-November 2006 at a local reptile show. That got the bug started and I'm now up to 21 :)

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine was a 7 in blondi I took in on a trade. WC and never got it through the molt.

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mexican Redknee (Brachypelma smithi).

I've had him for about 6 weeks now and am enjoying his company very much :)

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine was a Christmas gift from my hubby Wolfy...A.avic who has blessed us with 2 eggsacs :clap:

Last edited:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first was also B. smithi. I got her for 70 dollars as a juvenile and over a year later she turned out to be a female and shes about 6" now :). When i first got her she was very calm and docile, and as she grew older she got very defensive, which is odd for a B. smithi, but i compare her in personality to some of my more mild P. murinus. This just shows, its not the species, its the spider ;).

goferris

Arachnopeon
B Albopilosum what a fun spider. when i first got it its abdomen was almost completely bald. it has since molted and is a beautiful spider. thanks to the reptist. is it common for avic avics to not eat then die a few months after purchase? i just got one 2 weeks ago and i can't get it to eat. i would hate to have to bury it within a couple months. i know this isn't the best thread to ask this in but hey. pm me or respond on my other thread.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WC G. rosea. She's no longer with me but I now have 3 other rosies with the other 35 T's.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My first was a gift from someone on the board. It was a PZB. Thanks again for introducing me to this wonderful addiction!

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first tarantula was Avicularia Avicularia Female 2004.

And she is around 7 years old.:)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A Pinktoe Tarantula (Avicularia avicularia) way back in mid 80s and had an Emperor Scorpion about that time too. The latter totally freaked me out, exciting as I had just introduced myself to the hobby and as far as scorpions went just about the only thing I really was aware were Desert Hairy Scorpions in the Arizona deserts. And Emps and Asian Forest scorps weren't that common yet.

Never_2_Old

Arachnopeon
:D My First T was an adult female Grammostola rosea I purchased in 1999 and she is still with me along with 15 assorted Brachypelma, Grammostola, Aphonopelma, one Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and a chubby Lasiodora parahybana.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My youngest son's fifth grade science teacher retired and gave him an adult female B. emilia "for his dad," who had come to school with critters and pitched a few reptile classes. That was sixteen years ago. She lasted for twelve years. Currently I'm down to 117 tarantulas. My wife still holds it against him.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Grammostola rosea :) 2005

well actually it was an Aphonopelma spp. 1995?

T 'n T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first was a C. cyaneopubescens sling. The little critter turned out to be male, and I sent him out on my first breeding loan. It was successful, but the sac dried up. :(

Later I got one of his many sisters, who is still with me. :D