cross breeding

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What if any T species can we cross breed ? Could I breed my GBB with a smithi and get a red and blue T ? Has this been tried ?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do a search for threads on this...........There are plenty of them I am sure.

I only have one comment.......... dont bother............ :embarrassed:

Species from other genus cannot breed.

In theory species from the same genus can breed...... but even if you get it to work its highly frowned at and no one would really buy any of the offspring.

Why mess with something thats already perfect?:?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I for one as an oddball collector would buy them. I buy just about anything. If you do it and be successful ....then get in contact with me.

Like he said most would frown on it but it's your pests , you decide what you want. When these people shell out money and give it to you...then by all means take their advice.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I for one as an oddball collector would buy them. I buy just about anything. If you do it and be successful ....then get in contact with me.

Like he said most would frown on it but it's your pests , you decide what you want. When these people shell out money and give it to you...then by all means take their advice.
I get you there....... I would be curious myself...... But I dont really think the hobby needs everyone and there mom trying to cross breed. And I do agree if you want to do such things just please make sure they are sold as such. Basically mutants. And if offspring are produced they need to stay away from the pure blood lines of that species and genus and the hobby in general.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just did a search on crossing ( sorry I didn't do it first )

There is substantial rancor to the subject. There are many " pure bloods" out there that give the impression that cross breeding is some kind of abomination...

I didn't realize I was opening Pandora's box !

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just did a search on crossing ( sorry I didn't do it first )

There is substantial rancor to the subject. There are many " pure bloods" out there that give the impression that cross breeding is some kind of abomination...

I didn't realize I was opening Pandora's box !
Ya its a touchy subject in the hobby, you wont have to many supporters.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Please don't dismiss it as some sort of simple "pureblood" arrogance. :) The fact remains that if we start messing up a species like that, eventually people will be buying what they don't know is a hybrid, breeding with other tarantulas, and eventually we won't HAVE the original parent species anymore. Tarantula taxonomy (is that the word? I'm tired) is already messed-up, we don't need to make it worse.

And no, you could no more breed a GBB with a smithi than you could breed a dog and a sheep. Furthermore, they would kill each other.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, now dat we at dis subject, I saw lots of T pictures
and wuz wonder my self, sum speciments look diferent from each other, but clame to be the same, well of curse der is few things like <gender, pre and after molt> also a photography such light and other
personaly I would preffer to buy a clean speciment and NOT a mutt
I'll though I love em All, they like kids to me
but, why mix dem colors

exscuze my spellings and pick of words, please

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, now dat we at dis subject, I saw lots of T pictures
and wuz wonder my self, sum speciments look diferent from each other, but clame to be the same, well of curse der is few things like <gender, pre and after molt> also a photography such light and other
personaly I would preffer to buy a clean speciment and NOT a mutt
I'll though I love em All, they like kids to me
but, why mix dem colors

exscuze my spellings and pick of words, please
Some of the colors I think you are talking about are color phases.... color ranges that occur naturally within the genus and species without cross breeding.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are the idea of "wild hybrids" I believe I read something about how Brachypelma baumgarteni may be a wildly occuring hybrid. But hybridization in the wild vs. doing it for what are basically commercial reasons are two very different things. The taxonomy of most T species is still being figured out. The Avicularia are a good example. It further complicates the matter when hybrids are then introduced to the market. Another good point is that most MM T's are in demand and can potentially have multiple females waiting for them. Risking the life of the male for anything other than pure breeding is, in essence, jeopardy to the captive population management.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some of the colors I think you are talking about are color phases.... color ranges that occur naturally within the genus and species without cross breeding.
yes, thank you, I did though of dis too
Oh Man, its what make dis hobby is so interesin and addictin
its crazy, I never knew I cud get so excited over bugs, lol

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
yes, thank you, I did though of dis too
Oh Man, its what make dis hobby is so interesin and addictin
its crazy, I never knew I cud get so excited over bugs, lol
Is there a spell check feature....lol.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Nich

How's your Russian ? Anastsia's english I would assume is better ? Let try to be nice here... even to people that suggest cross breeding :)

Not that I intend to cross breed. I was just interested, that's all !

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
The main problem with cross breeding is the confusion it causes. There are few enough species we can firmly ID, and crossbreeding would only screw this up. Heck, most people that would buy hybrids, would not label them as such, so then you have hybrids labeled as one of the parents.

We need to be capable of breeding these species the way they are. Crossbreedings would result in male eatings, and more confusion. Especially with something like pokes, (it has been succesfully done) we don't need unlabeled hybrids floating around, its hard enough to breed the 'described' species.

The only time I agree with crossbreeding is done in a stable study. Done by people who will take the time to label the offspring, and keep or destroy all them.

-Sean

(No, you can't breed GBB with B. smithi).

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Saw a few hybrids... most are a bit disapointing compared to the pure ones. The only hybridation that I would bother to try is P. metallica X P. rufilata. I am pretty much shure that it will be nice and and hard to mix with something else. Saving my money on it.. will tell you in a few years if it was worth the risk.

Otherwise, I don't see the point. Crossbreeding for the sake of it, with any species is pretty much useless cuz in 90% of the times the result is disapointing.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Come on now...if there where was a Theraphosa blondi and a Versi mixed...you wouldn't want something like that? The thought os something 12" walking around on glass and tress would be a sitght to see.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Come on now...if there where was a Theraphosa blondi and a Versi mixed...you wouldn't want something like that? The thought os something 12" walking around on glass and tress would be a sitght to see.
Given that the very heavy bodies of T. blondi are already even more prone to cracking open in a fall than most other terrestrials, I think blending that with an arboreal--even if it WERE genetically possible at all--would be a very bad idea. ;)