The bounty (again)

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone in the USA would be willing to capture me from the following list. I will pay for shipping as well. Also with the current warm spell going through may make queens catchable so please keep your eyes peeled.

1.Bald faced hornet Queen
2. Yellowjacket queen
3. Southern paper wasp queens (or a small nest.)
4 Any other polestis(spelling) nest or queen
5.Any other hornet queen or small nest.(with live workers and queen)
Note I will NOT go above $15 USA PM for prices you may reply here to show pics and tell what you can get. I will also pay more for any unusual morphs you may find.

Last edited:

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This sounds like a great project, if i find any I will let you know! I just wish I could keep them my self.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I have a LOT of yellowjacket ( I think) nests that are in my shed. One nest is about 4-5 inches across. I have no idea what they are. Small, fast and it hurts when they sting :D I can get a pic of a dead adult if you want to see what they are, then Id be glad to send you the nest.

We had some Baldfaced hornets (theyre the black ones arent they?) but they moved on or died out. I thought they were very pretty. They would catch flies off of the chicken poo :D:D:D:D

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I need nests with LIVE workers in them and a functional queen. Are there hornets in the nests?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a LOT of yellowjacket ( I think) nests that are in my shed. One nest is about 4-5 inches across. I have no idea what they are. Small, fast and it hurts when they sting :D I can get a pic of a dead adult if you want to see what they are, then Id be glad to send you the nest.

We had some Baldfaced hornets (theyre the black ones arent they?) but they moved on or died out. I thought they were very pretty. They would catch flies off of the chicken poo :D:D:D:D
Michelle...I've been working on ways to capture nests without getting stung. If you're interested in collecting some for Tleilaxu, just send me a shiny happy PM and I can share tips and tricks :)

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know smoke "calms" bee's but I doubt it disorient wasps does it? or would that just make them mad.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know smoke "calms" bee's but I doubt it disorient wasps does it? or would that just make them mad.

Actually, my method involves a bucket of ice water, a plastic trash bag, a couple ski masks, thick clothes, rubber bands, and goggles :)

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well lets say I have an obnoxious looking bee suit would that be even better?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wish I would have read your thread earlier. I come across Yellowjacket queens hibernating under rocks and logs in the winter. Many people here in the mid south and southeast US call the yellow and brown paper wasps, "Yellowjackets" and call true Yellowjackets, just plain ole... "hornets". Yellowjackets usually nest in the ground and in dead stumps around here. Paper wasp sp usually around houses, sheds, shrubs and trees. I see them under rock ledges in desert areas too. One time in w Tx, I jumped down to a ledge that I knew I was going to have to figure out how to get down from and shook up a wasp nest. But I was stuck on the ledge and didn't know how to get down. They were stinging me!!! That'd been funny if it wasn't me, so go ahead and laugh:) . I've been stung several times by Yellowjackets too. MAN!, they hurt!!! Anyway, It's warming up so, it's turning into a bad time for me to catch isolated hibernating queens right now but, maybe next winter. Here's a big Yellowjacket nest I dug up out of my backyard several years ago. I have dug some up in the winter that still had many larvae.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I need nests with LIVE workers in them and a functional queen. Are there hornets in the nests?
I have no idea.... Where do they go in the winter? I always thought they died during the winter.. and the eggs developed and went on making the nest next spring.. see what I know!!

Heres a pic of what kind of wasp/yellowjacket/hornet it is.

Last edited:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
That is a Polistes species. Not sure off hand which one though.
They're the ones that HURT really BAD when they nail ya :D

I can send as many of these as you want in the spring. I get about 100 or more on my fence. Its fun to watch them build. Some are even bigger than the one I have pictured. Maybe Im seeing the queen? Maybe different species.
I can get those black ones too... we call them blackjackets (Im sure its wrong) but they look like those baldfaced hornets.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After Googlooking around a little, that wasp might be Polistes fuscatus or a Golden Paper wasp. But I don't know, just trying to get close.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no idea.... Where do they go in the winter? I always thought they died during the winter.. and the eggs developed and went on making the nest next spring.. see what I know!!

Heres a pic of what kind of wasp/yellowjacket/hornet it is.

SWEET bug your making me drool. Yes if you can nab a small nest with the workers and queen that would be awesome! The queens survive the winter and the workers die, so basicaslly the queens start up the next years nests, after emerging from there hiding places of leaves and other things to hind under.

Also I would LOVE a small nest of Bald faced hornets!(black jackets)

Waspman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's Polistes dominula, an invasive species from Europe.

Also, Blackjackets are not the same as Baldfaced Hornets (not true hornets). They're both yellowjackets, but in different genera.

Dolichovespula maculata = Baldfaced Hornet (Aerial Nester)

Vespula consobrina = Blackjacket (Ground Nester)

Dolichovespula typically nest in trees/in the air, while Vespula typically nest in the ground/cavities.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Keep in mind that there may well be restrictions on shipping these interstate. And I would be willing to bet the postal service or other carriers would not be at all amused to be shipping these either.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep in mind that there may well be restrictions on shipping these interstate. And I would be willing to bet the postal service or other carriers would not be at all amused to be shipping these either.
I have not been able to find any restrictions on shipping these things from the USDA. Also you don't need to tell the shipper what you are sending, all you need to do is make sure they can't get out.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have not been able to find any restrictions on shipping these things from the USDA. Also you don't need to tell the shipper what you are sending, all you need to do is make sure they can't get out.
I actually asked the post man about it when I got one of my scorps. He said that if you tell the post office they're is a live animal they will stick a tag on it to try to encourage gentle handling, but you don't have to. Other than that he said the mail is almost limitless in what you can send and surprisingly he is also an arachnid keep, he keeps T's and said he has ordered them through the mail many times.

Sorry for "banter" but it is a good first hand expirence.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had good and bad luck. I don't say anything anymore. I go through an automated system. I mailed a T once. I said, "...it's a tarantula.." He looked it up and said, "I don't think we're supposed to do that but, ok." They have a list of animals they can and can't mail there in the PO. It's a pretty strict list. I think it's illegal to ship most of the animals we do without some kind of license. But I don't think they really care in the PO. He said they can't ship any scorps unless it's for medical purposes. Allot of "thinks" in this post:eek: . But at the automated system, it asks if you are sending any "....insects, invertebrates, etc." If you press "yes", a message pops up and says, "sorry, we can't mail your item."