please heat my a. avic

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
okay, it's obvious my avic craves more heat. today i splurged on a heat rock ($9.99 compared to a $16.99 heating pad) not thinking about how in the heck i'm gonna get the cord to come out of the kritter keeper. fine, fine, i'm a dork. anyhoo, my avic is at the top of the enclosure to be nearer to the heat rock (which is sitting on top of the lid). should this be fine? in theory it should be warm enough, but heat rises...

usually i don't worry too much about higher temps--the heating pads i have seem sufficient. but this heat rock thing--i don't know. it's warm enough, and it's obvious the avic digs it, but is the lid the best place for it? or should i cut out a gaping hole to route the cord through?

ideally, i'd like to keep my t's without the heating units, however, i live in a very, very old apartment complex (which are actually quite cool!) and the heat vents are controlled by the rental office. it's been warm here, so they turned off the heat, but now it's freezing. any inventive ideas you can throw out? thanks.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You mentioned that the heat pad seems to work ok, does it keep the heat and humidity at the right level for your Avic? If it were me, I would stay away from the heat rock, I surely wouldn't put it in with the T. I have used heating pads before when I couldn't keep it warm enough in the house. I had the heating pads under the cage, but I made sure I kept the substrate moist, the heat pad will dry it out faster. Does the avic have a tube web? Maybe you can put the heat pad on the outside close to it's web. I would keep the heat pad on the lowest setting though. Hope this helps, good luck.

slice9

Arachnopeon
Heating rocks are not recommended for use as a heating device inside a Ts enclosure. Among other things it will dry the T out. Get a small heating pad and place it on one SIDE of the the tank (on the side of the tank not the bottom). If the T needs more heat it will go to that side, if it needs to cool down it will go to the other. Place the heating pad on the bottom of the tank is dangerous as Ts burrow in order to regulate body temperature (cool off) and if it gets hot and burrows down to where the heating pad is and gets hotter it will cook itself.

slice9

Arachnopeon
Just realized you said you were dealing with an avic. An avic would normally be at the top of the kritter keeper anyways as it is arboreal, if its crawling around on the bottom of the tank normally you got problems lol. Anyways I just use a oil filled radiator type heater. Cost about $40, which is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of heating pads.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depending on the size of your avic's enclosure, you could put them in a larger plastic enclosure, like a large rubbermaid blanket box, put a little water in the bottow of the blanket box and the heat pads under them. The heat pad will heat the water which will raise the temp and humidity at the same time in the blanket box. Holes drilled in the lid and sides will provide air circulation. This is how I set up my slings in "nurseries". It also deters any ant/mite infestations by having the water barrier acting as a moat.

Botar

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want it inside the enclosure,take the plug off the cord,drill a small hole just big enough for the lead to go through. Then put the plug back on and thats it .

Chid