Call me George

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got this as Stromatopelma calceatum, which I'm pretty sure it's not. Any idea what it is is? :? Looks more Pterinochilus-like to me... lugardi? Whatever it is, it's pretty beat-up, or going for that Kojak look.

Thanks!

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

Yes this is a Pterinochilus lugardi ... in a big need of a molt.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi you paid for THAT hope you got a good deal on it any way GOOD LUCK to you and your ( t ) -- phil

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree it looks like a lugardi. There isn't anything wrong with the poor little thing. It looks like it will moult soon then it will be beautiful. No T is at their best looking just before a moult.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well ... i've to agree with Phil that this specimen does'nt look real healty you know ... my pre molt spider never looked like this, in my opinion the ex-owner was a bad keeper. This said, with a good home, it will get back on its feet pretty quickly

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi you paid for THAT hope you got a good deal on it any way GOOD LUCK to you and your ( t ) -- phil
Hehe... It's pretty rugged, yeah. Nothing a moult could not fix, tho. I didn't really see the whole T at the time of purchase, just a bit of the abdomen and a leg (it was hiding behind a piece of cork bark). But I got it from someone that I've dealt with before, and saw no need to do a full "inspection" in the store. I believe there was an honest misclassification somewhere down the line, and I can always have it replaced.

Then again... I was recently considering adding a Pterinochilus to my collection anyway. Oh, decisions, decisions....

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well ... i've to agree with Phil that this specimen does'nt look real healty you know ... my pre molt spider never looked like this, in my opinion the ex-owner was a bad keeper. This said, with a good home, it will get back on its feet pretty quickly
Cedrik, I believe that the T was wild-caught and a bit of TLC should restore its health after whatever ordeals it was through (unless there are some devious parasites). The person I bought it from certainly wasn't a bad keeper and, to my knowledge, acquired the T fairly recently.

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh well, that's nothing a good molt won't fix. i'd go with lugardi as well.

and why not keep it? they are gorgeous and quite as invisible as the stromatopelma you intended to buy ;).

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and why not keep it? they are gorgeous and quite as invisible as the stromatopelma you intended to buy ;).
I agree, but my Stromatopelma male might object to this choice of a mate... I needed a girl S. calceatum for breeding purposes. I suspect that a P. lugardi female might wreck the mood.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol, i suspect you are right. if it was not too expensive, i'd keep the lugardi anyway and just buy another date for the stromatopelma guy.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
have you got a p - murinus in your collection if not i would go for it ( good fun to keep ;) {D :razz: -- phil

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
murinus

Like Phil said, maybe trade for a p. murinus. Really striking orange color. I got one and really like the contrast of her as compared to some of my other Ts.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
S. calceatum is probably worth a bit more then a P. lugardi. You may want to get some cash back.

As far as the P. murinus...they are cheaper then P. lugardi's...if you want a P. murinus just pick up a cheap one...

~Fred