Sick people...

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I don't care about the views on what people think of as "cruelty." You all HAVE to agree that this is wrong... I need advice.
My older brother and his friends want to kill my T. I heard one of them saying that spraying Lysol on her will give her a terrible death and I know they're really wanting to do it. They enjoy torturing animals, and they absolutely hate my T. I can't believe this. I put a combination lock on her tank but they can still harm her through the mesh. I don't want to hide her tank, because she's my display pet and I intend on being able to look at her. Has anyone else had this problem, and what have you done to convince people to leave your pets alone?
I can't believe anyone would do this to something so harmless, and someone else's property too! I hate his friends so much... :mad:
(Btw, I definitely don't want this to turn into another "what is cruelty" debate or anything of the sort. I just need to know what I can do to protect my baby.)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Umm well tell your parents??? I dont know. Its in your room right? Ask to get a lock?
I think they are just goating you to get a rise out of you. And if that is the case just ignore them.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well outside of hiding the T where they can't get to it your only option is confronting them in some way. Either that or you wait for them to do the damage and report them for animal cruelty. I don't know if that is really any help, but it's a difficult situation, and what you could do is really limited.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Umm well tell your parents??? I dont know. Its in your room right? Ask to get a lock?
I think they are just goating you to get a rise out of you. And if that is the case just ignore them.
Our parents are warning him, but I doubt they'd do any more than that. Maybe I could put electric shock collars on 'em. {D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey saddle how old are you? I am thinking what 16? Just tell your parents. Let them resolve it. Cause I doubt you can take on your older brothers friends. Not that that is a soultion anyway.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Hey saddle how old are you? I am thinking what 16? Just tell your parents. Let them resolve it. Cause I doubt you can take on your older brothers friends. Not that that is a soultion anyway.
Yep, 16. And they're all 18 (what a way to act like adults, huh). I'll see if I can put a lock on my door. Wonder why I didn't think of that before...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hope that works out............ With a lock maybe that will be enough.... that and not showing any sort of reaction when they talk about how they want to kill the T.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your brother and his friends are acting very immature. I am almost 18 and I can never see myself doing that, then again ever since I could remember there has always been a place for animals in my heart. Just try and get a lock on your door and once thats done try talking to your brother about it, alone, see if he acts any dif. without his friends there. Most of the time they do. Tell him that you really cherish your T and that it means alot to you, just like if he cherishs something, like his car or something. You know what I mean?

Good luck.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is always pepper spray {D . Seriously, if your parents can't resolve it, give your brother a hint as to what might happen to him the minute he falls asleep...

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If they do this, call the DA...cruelty to animals is a felony in most states, and if they have verbally threatened such action, theres your case. I would hope that your parents take care of this before its out of hand.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if the do anything.. or continue threatening (provided you have a hair kicker) shove a molted abdomen in his mouth while he is sleeping. see how he likes that ;) seriously though that is rediculous.. if your parents arent gonna do anything about it then you should go to someone who can. what a bunch of idiots. you could always pretend to go out and hide in your closet when they are over and jump out with some pepper spray (but be warned it will get you too)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they do this, call the DA...cruelty to animals is a felony in most states, and if they have verbally threatened such action, theres your case. I would hope that your parents take care of this before its out of hand.

"Cruelty to animals" does not, in any state that I'm aware of, extend to spiders or other invertebrates, no matter how much WE value them. If that were the case, it would be a felony to swat a fly, or boil a lobster, or use poison to kill roaches, termites and ants. At best, even a court of law would only consider the value of a tarantula as personal property, and would reward the owner the going market value of the spider. This is a matter for the parents to take care of, and failing that, I would take such drastic measures as the pepper spray suggested by another poster. It would make no difference to me if someone destroyed one of my spiders or my computer or a pair of my sneakers; they're MINE, I paid for them, and they way I see it, anyone who messes with my stuff is going to pay, and I don't care if it's a family member or what. When proper channels of dealing with a problem, or potential problem, don't work, you do what you gotta do.

pitbulllady

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lysol...

Lysol, being a disinfectant, might not actually hurt your Tarantula. It's a nasty chemical, for sure, but it's not actually biologically active against anything other than bacteria and viruses.

I'm thinking that it would need a lot of Lysol to get to your Tarantula to actually hurt it. It would probably drown (after getting Lysol in the lungs), rather than anything else.

And cruelty laws most certainly apply to invertebrates, where there is a deliberate attempt to cause continuous anguish to the animal (at least in New Zealand, where I'm from originally). Swatting flies, boiling lobsters etc are all rather quick and are not deliberate attempts to prolong the death.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
someone messes with any of my pets. revenge will be swift and brutal. they dont like them thats to bad. they are in a cage not hurting anyone. i cant tolorate any kind of abuse like that. i broke a guys arm once for kicking a cat. :mad:

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I caught anyone doing something like that to my t's or my other animals I might shoot them.Or beat the living shi! out of them.

That sucks you need new friends.:mad:

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, but I do believe that if you maliciously KILL another persons pet, especially after threatening to do so verbally, it doesn't matter what kind of animal it is. I mean the kids got a spider, in a tank, that he loves and takes care of, and he paid good funds for. I'm sure the DA would love to prosecute some moron that intentionally sprayed this said pet with Lysol in a manner that was pre-meditated, with the intent to KILL and or worry or torture the poor thing lol...Heck what do I know, lemme go ask GR CH ANGUS lol

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's what you do, dig a pit in the ground, throw your brother in it, then sit at the top with you T in hand saying, "It's nice to the spider or it gets the hose again."

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi thats shocking !! what morons they are tell them to grow up ANY animal cruelty makes me MAD :mad: and upset :( your mum and dad must do some thing about this :embarrassed: i can not say what i would do to them but it would be VERY PAINFUL :eek: :eek: :eek: -- phil

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
parents

You said your parents vwould talk to your brother; be sure they don't just easily brush this off. Hes probably impressing his friends by bothering you about something he knows you love. Typical being a jerk in front of his friends, thinking that will make him seem bigger in their eyes. Are his friends troublemakers? Unless they really are, I think his threat to hurt the T is just scare talk. BUT, if he does really hurt your T, or his friends do, then I would call the police about damaged/killed personal property(as pointed out, the T would only be considered personal property value, AFAIK). Anyway, your brother is being a jerk.