Earth worms

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
will / can tarantulas eat earthworms? if so are they good for the tarantula? if not how come? i can get some from the bait shop.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya they can eat earthworms........One thing to be leary of is they are a creature that eats dirt. They are cabable of picking up pesticides and such from anywhere and having them present in their bodies when being fed to the T. But thats a factor with anything you find out in the yard that you might think is a good food source. Id steer clear of them unless you have no choice.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not sure what an earthworm bolus might smell like, either. Dead earthworms smell pretty nasty, so you might be creating a smell issue in your enclosures.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not sure what an earthworm bolus might smell like, either. Dead earthworms smell pretty nasty, so you might be creating a smell issue in your enclosures.
Cool.... :cool: doesnt crickets smell as bad when half eaten?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No I would think worms would smell much worse. I guess it depends on who you are and what you think stinky is.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also i think earthworms are composed of fats more like superworms which is not a good staple food for t's. :)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also i think earthworms are composed of fats more like superworms which is not a good staple food for t's. :)
Earthworms are actually low in fat and almost pure protein.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
..... didnt know that:confused: maybe i should try eating dirt for my protein diet. lol

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have fed my tarantulas earth worms on occasion, and the tarantulas completely dry them out and I have never noticed a smell of any sort.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Interesting topic! I've just inherited a colony of earthworms and will be trying them on my younger Ts this week. Hold thumbs! {D

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
will / can tarantulas eat earthworms? if so are they good for the tarantula? if not how come? i can get some from the bait shop.
Tarantulas will and can eat earthworms. However, you have to be careful not to feed your tarantula/tarantulas wild caught earthworms.

Reason: Since earthworms consume decaying matter, they also consume any harmful chemicals, harmful agents, etc... as stated above.

If you have a source for farm raised earthworms your risk is reduced on the harmful and potentially deadly agents but, you still have to deal with the smell of the leftovers. They smell worse dead than alive.

I know of the smell because I used to breed earthworms and sell the fertilizer in a semi heated and cooled shed in my backyard. Time became an issue and sold my cultures.

Brian

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've done it before out of desperate lack of feeders, but man do they ever reek! I'd not advise it unless you must, they do actually stink worse than crickets.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OK I'm convinced - the colony can go free...

Long live roaches!! {D