Metagyndes breeding tips anyone?

Zaus

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I bought a pair of a wild-caught Metagyndes species from Chile 3 months ago.
They are kept moist, at low temperatures (between 20° and 23°) and fed on dead insects. Other food like fruits and vegetables didnt seem to interest them much.
Yesterday I was happy to see a clutch of 27 suprisingly big eggs behind a piece of bark. :)

I couldnt find much information on them in the net, but as the experts seem to congregate here, maybe somebody can share information with me.

How long do these eggs take to hatch? Am I right with keeping them together with the adults? Anything else I have to be careful about?

Greets
Andreas

Zaus

Arachnopeon
Don't seem to be many Opiliones-breeders out there :eek:

Maybe I should rephrase the question: has anyone any information on Metagyndes or just Opiliones keeping in general?

Greets
Andreas

formi

Arachnopeon
Hi Zaus
I have them too. feeding by death cricets, temperature about 23 C, hight humidity, they lay egs on the down side of bark where they are located most of the time. It looks like females take care about egs . Young were hatched about aprox one month ( cca one week after egs get darker ). I separate youngs from parents and give them drosophilas. And that is when I am now (i do it yesterday). Are Yours already hatched ? I wonder if somebody got experience with Laniatores.

Zaus

Arachnopeon
Hi,
thanks for your reply.

My eggs haven´t hatched yet, but as they turned darker a few days ago I´m expecting them to do soon.

I keep mine under the same conditions as you do, are you sure its necessary to separate them from their parents? I read about them being found in great numbers under one piece of bark in the wild, but on the other hand, better be safe than sorry.
The female definitely shows some kind of brood care, shes sitting on top of the clutch every time I check. Interesting creatures, altough you never see them out in the open.

Do the hatchlings eat the drosophila? How many do you have? I got 26 eggs so far, not really a lot for an arachnid.

Keep me updated on your progress,

Regards
Zaus