Top 5 Aggressive T's

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am looking for an aggressive T to buy this summer (either New World or Old World) and I just wanted to know what everyone would consider their top 5 in this category to help me decide on which one would be the best for my collection.

Note: I would prefer hardier and easily kept T's over delicate ones. Also, anything that is going to be hidden all the time or anything that will turn into a "pet hole" will be out of the question. I don't mind if they're "pet rocks" I just want to be able to see it every once and a while.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am looking for an aggressive T to buy this summer (either New World or Old World) and I just wanted to know what everyone would consider their top 5 in this category to help me decide on which one would be the best for my collection.

Note: I would prefer hardier and easily kept T's over delicate ones. Also, anything that is going to be hidden all the time or anything that will turn into a "pet hole" will be out of the question. I don't mind if they're "pet rocks" I just want to be able to see it every once and a while.
I'm not good at this but i know them majority of aggressive tarantulas are the burrowers which are pet holes but some you will see more than others.

the Ornamentals are aboreals and they are quick I think the are aggressive also. I think ( and i could be wrong about this) the only non 99% of the time burrower will be a Haitian Brown Tarantula (Phormictopus cancerides)

Someone please correct me if im wrong...I'm still learning.

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I suggest a Lasiodora Parahybana, it's not extremely mean but mine chases ANYTHING that goes into it's cage, it doesn't hesitate to throw me a big threat display either. I bought mine as a 5" adult and she just recently molted to 7" in one molt! Great T, ALWAYS is in the open, plus mine likes to bulldoze too.

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
African/Asian species that about takes care of "agressive" i dont think ornamentals should be considered aggresive yes maybe flighty and fast but i dont think they are straight up mean.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I hate myself for this, but...

Use The Search Function.

There have been waaaay too many threads on this.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my 2" x immanis goes after it's food like a madman
it's kinda fun watching it fly from one side of the cage to the other, goes after anything that moves

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think a P.murinus could be what you are looking for...
IMO it's not a pet hole.. I can always see it although it does some webbing.
And it's aggresive like crazy !!!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You might be looking for a P. cancerides. I can't talk though, mine is a sweetheart. But it does not hide, and most others I have heard of have quite an attitude.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Still haven't seen an aggressive pokie yet... flighty yes, cross and lary, no, IME...

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i say many african and asian are aggressive and this kind of thread comes up a lot so it gets BORING to all of us == phil :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
I'd have to say the top 5 are five of any Theraphosid poked with a stick enought times :rolleyes: ;), tho seriously since messing less except for feeding/water and housing uperty old world burrowers with deep sub i don't see half as many threat displays as i did in the early days.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what about t. blondi or better still t. apophysis? as long as you keep the substrate moist all the time and don't overfeed them, you should be fine.
the most agressive t i've ever seen is the lampropelma spec. a friend of mine bought at the last show. she throws herself on her back to bite as soon as anything comes near her :eek: - they are real pet holes though. p. murinus would be a nice choice as well, but those tend to hide a lot as well.

both my a. geniculata and l. parahybana are a bit nervous but handleable and not at all what i'd call agressive.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I'm actually unsure of what you're looking for. Do you want aggressive eaters or do you want T's that get very defensive when you're trying to do maintenance?

If the latter is the case you could just go with the diggers Haplopelma lividum and poke your finger in the hole (<- Just a bad joke!).

But if you want aggressive eaters you could go for Acanthoscurria geniculata or Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens for example.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Haplopelma minax.. mine is by far the meanest nastiest spider i've got lol shes 6" of solid black, mean spider! lol but she's awesome! as soon as i take the lid off she goes into a threat posture and strikes the ground whilst walking towards me!
here's a pic
Her eating:

Threat posture when i took the lid off:

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My haplopelma lividum is by far the most agressive T I have. The others are more defensive and tend to hide before anything. I recently rehoused my lividum to a new container and I put it in an open room but it just attacked me and ran towards me instead of away.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No tarantula is actually agressive.

Overly defensive, maybe...but not agressive. There's a big difference.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No tarantula is actually agressive.

Overly defensive, maybe...but not agressive. There's a big difference.
I would call this a description of "aggressive".

"This is the most aggressive tarantula I ever owned. I consider this to be the Pit Bull of tarantulas. It would frequently throw itself against the side of its tank when it detected my presence and made a very distinct hissing noise (hence I gave it the name of Hissing Sid). Should most definitely NOT be handled. Not for the beginner! "

Perhaps he vastly overdid it though.