M. balfouri

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've been doing some research on this species, and i read that they were supposed to have become commercially available in fall 2006 or early 2007. but, alas, no balfouris in sight except in the genus thread. could someone feed a hungry mind and tell me what happened and/or if there's a new date that we should be waiting for?

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know Metallica owns one or more, he posted a thread a few months ago on the Dutch forum. Maybe you could pm him.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've been doing some research on this species, and i read that they were supposed to have become commercially available in fall 2006 or early 2007. but, alas, no balfouris in sight except in the genus thread. could someone feed a hungry mind and tell me what happened and/or if there's a new date that we should be waiting for?
Last I heard some slings came into the country but the price and rarity pretty much sent them straight to breeders. As far as I know, even in Europe these guys have a hefty price tag, I cannot imagine what it would be here. I am eagerly awaiting some news about these bad boys myself.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hedorah99 that's the same info I was given on them. We just have to wait until those slings mature and hopefully produce viable sacs. M.balfouri is another species I'm anxiously awaiting.

Here's an image used with T.Raab's permission.

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
same here, Pyst. i know that there's an amount in Europe, but i'm more interested in the US. getting one imported from Europe, that's the price, conversion from dollars to euros, shipping fees, and the paperwork so that the transaction's legal!

http://www.tarantulaspiders.com/pages/history.htm

Aug. 2006 (?)

First import into the U.S. hobby of Monocentropus balfouri

Frank Somma

This beautiful species is imported as captive-born spiderlings into the USA for a few personal collections. It is expected to be made available commericially later this fall or early 2007.

www.arachnoboards.com

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah only a very small amount of these were imported by frank last year and i dont wanna say how much they were but expensive trust me hehe.im sure if they come more available in europe they will be imported in higher numbers.also
hopefully the few that are here and the ones that made it to canada will be bred so in a couple years time mabey we will have some from these people

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After discussing this spider in chat last night makes me want a couple even worse. It's going to be a long couple of years.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After discussing this spider in chat last night makes me want a couple even worse. It's going to be a long couple of years.
Yea, they are gonna be the next P. metallica. I think they even look more stunning. And people are jonsing for them. I have seen ads where people are offering money for adult females. I won't say how much, but grossly underestimating what the price of a sling would be, let alone an adult female.

Hopefully we see these and some Encyocratella olivacea in the next 5-7 years.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hedorah99 that's the same info I was given on them. We just have to wait until those slings mature and hopefully produce viable sacs. M.balfouri is another species I'm anxiously awaiting.

Here's an image used with T.Raab's permission.
:drool: so nice!the mature males must look quite impressive in person to

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is M. balfouri only that color in perfect lighting, in every other photo of them I've seen they're a drab brown color. Actually before seeing the pic I thought people only wanted them because they were rare.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is M. balfouri only that color in perfect lighting, in every other photo of them I've seen they're a drab brown color. Actually before seeing the pic I thought people only wanted them because they were rare.
Like all T's, it is probably a combination of lighting and how recently molted it is, and to a lesser extent sex and maturity.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hi even my spiderlings/ juvs are of better color than in any picture. just like metallica getting this color on photo is allmost impossible.

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

it depends how big they are. ;)

Spiderlings and Juveniles are not blue at all. Here you can see a picture of a spiderling:

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd REALLY love an E. olivacea or three but M. balfouri isn't far behind them on my list. That said...i'm so poor I won't be able to afford one even when they do become available...for many years to come. :D

Nice pictures, Timo. :)

~Fred

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen some juveniles, and I know people who have them here in the UK, but I would suggest that it's likely to be a while before they become widely available, even in Europe :)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's 3 people (including myself) in the U.S. raising M. balfouri that I know of.

Mine are growing well, but I haven't sexed them yet.

I'm getting 6 E. olivacea in a couple weeks, and my friend will be raising 5... so we'll have a nice group of them. The one I raised to a mature male died without getting any :(

Eric