A. anax molt/color question

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought a spiderling back in 2005. It molted a month or so after I got it putting it at about an inch in size. last night it molted for the 2nd time. Dang.. talk about slow growing... my Brachy's seem to grow faster. Anyways, when I first got it it was that standard light brown with the black circle on the back of the abdomen. After that 1st molt it was a solid light brown with a tinge of gray to it. With this new molt, it's now a solid soft black. Reminds me of a G. pulchra in looks actually as I have had G. pulchra slings go black early on while others didn't go black until practically full grown. Is it normal for an A. anax sling to go a solid black color like this? I kinda figured with this species it would stay pretty much a general brown color until it got close to being full grown and then develop the adult black/tan colors. I can't seem to find any sling photos other than the standard brown or the brown with black spot of a tiny sling.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I bought a spiderling back in 2005. It molted a month or so after I got it putting it at about an inch in size. last night it molted for the 2nd time. Dang.. talk about slow growing... my Brachy's seem to grow faster. Anyways, when I first got it it was that standard light brown with the black circle on the back of the abdomen. After that 1st molt it was a solid light brown with a tinge of gray to it. With this new molt, it's now a solid soft black. Reminds me of a G. pulchra in looks actually as I have had G. pulchra slings go black early on while others didn't go black until practically full grown. Is it normal for an A. anax sling to go a solid black color like this? I kinda figured with this species it would stay pretty much a general brown color until it got close to being full grown and then develop the adult black/tan colors. I can't seem to find any sling photos other than the standard brown or the brown with black spot of a tiny sling.[/QUOT

my juvie female just molted to a nice black with red setae and a gray carapace.
thats a typical color for them . my adult is the same color just bigger
and slow is right ,, about glacial speed id say

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my juvie female just molted to a nice black with red setae and a gray carapace.
thats a typical color for them . my adult is the same color just bigger
and slow is right ,, about glacial speed id say
This one is all black...really quite a nice look to it. I tried sexing the molt, but it's still a size smaller than what I prefer.. have such a hard time trying not to rip it when they are that small. Tentatively looks to be a male. Guess it'll be another 2 years before I get another molt to try with ROFL.

I just recently got an A. chalcodes... between 1/4 and 3/8"... can only hope that one grows up within my lifetime ;)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This one is all black...really quite a nice look to it. I tried sexing the molt, but it's still a size smaller than what I prefer.. have such a hard time trying not to rip it when they are that small. Tentatively looks to be a male. Guess it'll be another 2 years before I get another molt to try with ROFL.

I just recently got an A. chalcodes... between 1/4 and 3/8"... can only hope that one grows up within my lifetime ;)
lol i think powerfeeding it and it will get to a decent size fairly fast. but ....
they only live about 20 years i think so maybe lol
sometimes i think what is sold as anax is hentzi and vice versa they are so messed up