Sling 101: Sling 'Cage/Home' Pics (for those who are wondering)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!

So i know many people have been wondering about slings and where to keep them (skadi, take note :) )

here is my basic sling set up for a couple of months. It's by no means the only or best way to keep them, but my family's been doing this for years, and it is a real basic way to keep them. Im sure alot of people use this method.

alright
So we're going to start this series with the deli cup.

People use vials, small spice jars, small glass boxes, deli cups, condiment cups, etc....

I use the medium size condiment cup. I get a clean one, and transfer a small amount of the substrate the sling was in when i bought it, and then use a new mixture of:
60% jungle mix/eco earth
10% vermiculite
30% potting soil

with a SLIGHTLY DAMP layer of moss on the top (i'm telling you, the moss makes a GREAT NATURAL hiding spot!). I make sure its all nice and damp, and i spray the underside of the lid, and then put the sling in it and there you go! You'll notice in this first pic, the sling is no bigger than a quarter.

peace
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
now for the house...

Alright so here's the sling about a week later, and you'll notice s/he made a little burrow into the substrate -- i took the little piece of moss that was the "cover" to the burrow off for the pic. Don't worry,i put it back on :)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
dave, you rock my world baby. ;)

thanks so much. i've got mine in little rubbermaid thingies. nice locking lid with airholes poked in them. i'm keeping the soil they came with damp and moist but not saturated.

they seem to be doing just fine and aren't defensive at all, i've held all of them.

finding TINY crickets is a challenge though. :( however, at least my Chaco ate one...yay!

the others are making me crazy. :8o

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and thats it for the housing!
I keep it a little damper than usual, and a little warmer than usual, and unfortunately they arent eating in the cage now, so i have to use my little FOOD ICU for now -- I'll try feeding back in the cage next week...

I've never had any pavlovian problems with the FOOD ICU. I've been using the method for years. It really helpswhen a T isn't eating, and push is turning to shove. Take themout, then feed, then return to the cage... There's never been any problems about T's getting used to feeding outside their cage. In fact, just the opposite, as they start eating more and more and i dont need the FOOD ICU anymore (just a deli cup with slightly damp substrate and a warm papertowel over the airholes in a dark, quiet place)...

good luck with the slings, people!

:)
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
okay, what is this food ICU you speak of and how do i make and use one?

i want my little slings to EAT dammit. the little gits are driving me mad! :8o

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Here are a few of my sling enclosures. Some of them may be big at first glance, but since slings seem to grow so fast, I try to get 3-4 molts between having to rehouse.

Here is my versicolor's home, She's a little under two inches now. when she hits 3-3.5 I'll move her, and likely recycle this home.

Bill

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
And here is my Usumbara's (just under an inch) home. I've glued a small piece of utility cork (My girl gave me a big bag of various sized ones recently) to the side, and he/she has webbed up a good bit in the week I've had her.

Bill

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
This is one similar to the usumbaras, but for a Green-bottle blue. I had a nice sliver of cork bark handy, and glued in place as well. I left the height there because I knew this sp. webs up alot, and figured the webbing would protect her from falls.

Bill

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
And here is my soon to be relocated P. irminia's home. It just molted a few days ago, and I think it's outgrown this container. a few months back, I posted this 'dirt hotel' that seemed filled all the way around with substrate. Now the peat seems to have almost dissapeared out of there. I'm sure some has come out during maintenence, but it really seems like most of it just vanished.

Bill

Attachments

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha No worries:

Regardless of any crazy and seemingly insane info you get on this forum, what matters is, that people who care and love these animals have figured out certain things that can aid in 'raising' T's!

My father showed this to me when i was really young, and i'm sure I can't be the only one that uses a FOOD ICU.

Basically, its like I described:
(just a deli cup with slightly damp substrate and a warm papertowel over the airholes in a dark, quiet place)...

In mine, its a normal size deli cup for the bigger slings, but for the smaller slings, i use a condiment cup. I take some eco earth and pack it down REAL tight (about an 1" down). I obviously have many air holes poked in the top, and i (don't ask why) place a nice, warm, damp papertowel over the lid of the FOOD ICU, after i put the T in followed by the cricket. Then, i place the whole FOOD ICU in a dark cupboard above my fridge, but you can put it anywhere dark, not drafty, and quiet.

It may take your T a while to get used to it, but whenever I have problems feeding any of my T's, i use my FOOD ICU and presto -- starts eating.

And like i said, I originally thought that there would be some kind of conditioning for the T (in regards to feeding in the deli cup), but like i said, years and years of this has proven me wrong. They certainly get used to crickets "falling out of the sky" (as someone on this forum so perfectly put it) and they get used to being helped out of bad molts, and they get used to not really having to search for a mate... and they get used to the FOOD ICU.

It prompts the feeding response, and starts them eating.. the key, though, is knowing when to STOP the FOOD ICU. i use it for about 3 weeks, and then try feeding back in the cage.

I know some bio/arachno friends who use this method. It's great! Just make sure to check on the sling,so its not getting eaten... But def. leave it alone for a couple mins (8-10?)....

and also, if you just got your T's, they may be afflicted with Shipping Syndrome, which is basically just saying that they're stressed and shocked fromshipping, and it takes them some time to adjust to their new home..

But if all else fails, try the FOOD ICU - i think you'll be surprised!

whew.
:)

peace,
dave

TarantuChimp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dave yet again GENIUS ;)

my first problem was when I get my Sling, where do i keep it all of the tanks I have had before for lizards/Stick insects are to big, but cups and small see through contianers are perfect.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well Tarantu, I didnt come up with it, i just use it :)
its worked wonders for me, and i'm sure the many other people that use a food ICU (it can't be just me...)

peace
dave :)

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
feeding

Hi I have an "Usambara" and its about .5"
I was wondering if you feed it at this length
also do you keep it dry like if it would be as an adult or moist?
if so how much humidity
and what do i feed the small thing?

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bill, those are excellent setups? Where did you find the enclosures to use? They are excellent in size and variation? I must have! hehe.

Marcus

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nem-

I feed mine small crickets, but you may try pinheads or, if you keep an eye on it the whole time, very small crickets (they are usually sold in pinhead, very small, small, medium, and large sizes)...

id keep it moderate for now, then dry it out a bit. I keep my substrate moist, but not DRIPPING wet..

those guys are evil incarnate, huh? :) But BEAUTIFUL beyond belief!!!

good luck!
pce,
dave

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a good house for slings are the contaners that holds ur prize in one of those quarter machines

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For ease of feeding and watering I cut the bottom out of one deli cup, attach it to the lid, then slide it into the other bottom. That way I dont have to snap the lids on and off.

Ern

Attachments