raid ( pest killer)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had black ants infesting my tarantula walk in closet.

in one of the tanks I had to use raid ( I used the raid on the back porch away from my other tarantulas soit wouldntbe air born)

How do I properly clean the tank so ALL raid smell is gone..

I tried to clean it with Fantasik (all purpose) then I left it over night on the back porch to air out..

then i tested it by putting a cricket in there and within 15-20 minutes of the cricket being in there (After I cleaned it ) the cricket died...

how do i clean it PROPERLY so this wont happen to a T?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i would do a multistep process

first i would scrub it out with a dilute bleach solution.

then i would scrub it out with a dilute soap solution.

then i would scrub it out with a moderately strong baking soda solution.

then i would rinse and soak, rinse and soak, rinse and soak, rinse and soak with hot water.

sun dry.

one thing, you don't want to directly apply any of the cleaning products directly to the tank. you want to make the solution in a different container and then apply it with a rag or something. make sure whatever rag or sponge you use doesn't have freaky stuff on it.

if you can still smell anything when you are "done" then you aren't and you have to do it all again

this might seem a little extreme but you don't want to slowly poison one of your bugs and this is the best way i know how to avoid that

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Why would you use it on the tank?
You should have just cleaned it out with new substrate,etc.. And then, sanitize the tank with water/bleach.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
All of the above but give extra care with " sun dry ". Pyrethrum Extract the most common Raid ingredient becomes inert with prolonged exposure to sunlight.

I'd also do a bathing in vinegar myself in between the final rises.

Considering how inexpensive tanks are compared to T's, I wouldn't take a chance and just get a new enclosure. Yet that can be cost prohibative.

Just my $ 0.02

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All good advice, but like Tunedbeat said, I don't understand why you had to spray Raid in the tank? To kill ants?? Seems pointless to me, unless I'm missing something.

Eric

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of the above but give extra care with " sun dry ". Pyrethrum Extract the most common Raid ingredient becomes inert with prolonged exposure to sunlight.

I'd also do a bathing in vinegar myself in between the final rises.

Considering how inexpensive tanks are compared to T's, I wouldn't take a chance and just get a new enclosure. Yet that can be cost prohibative.

Just my $ 0.02
Ok so I'll just clean it out a few times but leave it outside for at least a week since I'm going to do this I'll just buy a new tank in the process.

This is a pain in the neck.

Thanks for everyone's opinion

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can probably get the glass clean, but I doubt the silicone joints will ever be pesticide-free.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your cricket test seemed pretty effective the first time. I would try that again at the very least.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so clean it throughly then try the cricket test again is what your sayin basically?
Truthfully, i would just toss the tank. Why risk it. Take this as a lesson learned. You ask lots of questions, why didn't you ask about doing this before you did it?:?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya know, I was wondering why I was wondering about you, now I know why was wondering LOL
Man, you really need to think about some of the things you have been doing lately. I'm not getting onto you or nothing as its really not place to do so but spraying Raid on a tank ?!?!?!
I thought I had heard it all but I was sooooo wrong lol

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is it a $50 Exoterra tank or a generic $6 10gal? I might put the effort in to clean a $50 tank, but a cheap 10gal would get tossed. If you decide to trash it instead of cleaning it, I'd recommed actually smashing it or something so an unsuspecting person doesn't snag it and put their own pets/fish in it.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it a $50 Exoterra tank or a generic $6 10gal? I might put the effort in to clean a $50 tank, but a cheap 10gal would get tossed. If you decide to trash it instead of cleaning it, I'd recommed actually smashing it or something so an unsuspecting person doesn't snag it and put their own pets/fish in it.
Wow your 10 gals only cost 6 bucks. YOu are very lucky. Mine cost $10.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, a substrate change and a thorough scrubbing will get rid of almost any pest.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok , heres what you do. step by step
Wash out the tank
load the tank in your car
drive to PETCO or another place that sells tanks
Drop your raid infested tank into the dumpster
buy a new tank
throw away your raid
do not buy raid again

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This post is no longer in use....

I already know what to do but "thanks" anyway.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok , heres what you do. step by step
Wash out the tank
load the tank in your car
drive to PETCO or another place that sells tanks
Drop your raid infested tank into the dumpster
buy a new tank
throw away your raid
do not buy raid again
Thats horrible. Why thow it out? Recycling it would be much better. Be sure its sorted in the glass bin though. {D