Feeding Jumping SPiders

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
So I obtained a jumping spider (the perks of working as an outdoor educator) -- and it's keeping ok in the tank (I can give you the scientific name in a bit when I grab my book and copy it down) -- problem is it won't eat!

It has a woodroach and ladybug in the tank so far -- it's been too cold to get crickets here at camp -- but he's not touching either one -- should I find something more to his taste or wait it out?

Nai

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure it won't eat the lady bug. Most spiders wouldn't. I've threw lady bugs in house spiders' webs and they bit in, let go and ran away in panic. Apparently from what I hear, lady bugs don't taste so great, at least to other insects, I have no experience in their tastiness.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Catch some flies,moths etc. They seem to prefer flying insects over about anything else

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
Found a fly (or the kids did) and put it in.

No luck yet.

Just curious -- would the temperature have anything to do with a lack of appetite? :confused:

Nai

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Give it some time to settle in. Most jumpers will web in a little den or pouch under some structure or at the top or side of the cup. Try prey that is half (or less) the size of the spider. They will usually take small crickets and fruit flies. The small flightless house flys sold at some pet stores work great. Many jumpers seem to like eating other spiders and some I have kept have taken ants and termites...though with these you run the risk of the hunter loosing the battle.

Temp can be a factor with any invert, but I doubt that your home is colder than it was were you found it. (?)

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
It's been a bit chilly of late in the nature center here at camp where he's being kept (I am an outdoor environmental education teacher at a YMCA camp -- he's being used to educate kids about spiders) -- they've been redoing, etc...

Should I put up a heat lamp?

Nai

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's been a bit chilly of late in the nature center here at camp where he's being kept (I am an outdoor environmental education teacher at a YMCA camp -- he's being used to educate kids about spiders) -- they've been redoing, etc...

Should I put up a heat lamp?

Nai
70-75F is probably a safe temp. Careful not to overheat it.. jars, cups, etc dont have much ventilation and can end up quite a bit warmer than outside the container.

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
I'll put up a heat lamp then -- he's in a ventilated container we use for benthic marcroinvertabrates we catch in the pond -- but the MPB (Multi Purpose Building where the nature center is) is not being kept overly warm at the moment due to the construction AND I don't want the roaches getting too warm (eight is enough)

I'll try that and update!

Nai

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A small heatpad placed at one end of the enclosure would probably be safer. It's pretty easy to cook a spider with a heat lamp.