Trap door

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm wondering if there's a cold hardy trapdoor spider out there. I've a shed where I extract my honey and it's not heated, and it gets down to 32F a couple times per year in winter. My rosie tarantulas do fine. And to save posting another thread, are there any of the bigger scorpions that would work there as well?

Thanks

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe the farthest north living North American scorpion is the Northern Scorpion, Paruroctonus boreus. If any scorpion is freeze tolerant, this would be a great one to try.

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks. We've got one locally on the Central Coast of California that I run into fairly often at work. I just assumed that there were lots of scorpions that lived where it froze in winter. The trap door spider was my main question.

Regards

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there are native Mygalomorphae in Virginia, North Carolina, etc.

Chris

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There are natives that winter in areas that have freezes. However, since they burrow, they are protected I would imagine from the freezing temps. If your shed has things actually freeze inside, it might be too cold. Of course, if your rosies make it...

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
There are some trapdoor spiders native to Alabama, pretty rare and protected. But the temps get well below 32 degrees here in the winter. But as mentioned, in their burrows they are protected from the freezing temps.

Chris