Light

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
This issue has always bothered me but I'm not sure whether it's important enough to freak out over. So many times, people will walk in my room where I keep my Ts, and if it's nighttime, they'll turn on my lights and make the whole room bright. I'm worried that that could disturb and confuse the Ts, but whenever big lights are turned on at night, they don't show any reaction. They just go about their business. Same issue with the light coming from the computer monitor. I've resorted to putting cardboard all around my Ts' enclosures at night to make it more comfortable for them, but I don't know if it's that big a deal. I always get mad at people when they go in my room and turn the lights and especially if they leave them on after leaving. Sometimes my sister will even taunt me and flip the lights on and off and on and off, just to make me mad.
It's not all the time. Usually my lights stay off, but I need to turn them on when I'm reading or doing homework or whatever. Because the Ts don't show any disturbance, does it mean that they don't care? What do you all think?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
IME, I don't think our lights affect the Ts as much as sunlight does. Your Ts should be fine, my light is on till about midnight. No problems have ever came up with my Ts.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
IME, I don't think our lights affect the Ts as much as sunlight does. Your Ts should be fine, my light is on till about midnight. No problems have ever came up with my Ts.
I'm afraid it could possibly disturb molting. I had resorted to moving my smithi's tank in another room to avoid all disturbances before her molt but lost my poor girl anyways. Ah well. Thanks for the input, Novak. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm afraid it could possibly disturb molting. I had resorted to moving my smithi's tank in another room to avoid all disturbances before her molt but lost my poor girl anyways. Ah well. Thanks for the input, Novak. :)
I've shined a light directly on a couple of my Ts while molting with one of those big powerful "cop" flashlights. NOt through the whole molting process though. I've also left the light on during molts, and no problems occured.

Your B.smithi died? Cause of a molt?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I've shined a light directly on a couple of my Ts while molting with one of those big powerful "cop" flashlights. NOt through the whole molting process though. I've also left the light on during molts, and no problems occured.

Your B.smithi died? Cause of a molt?
Ooh, so camera flash wouldn't matter either? Yay.
Yeah, post-molt complications I guess. The exuvium was perfect, her new skin looked perfect. She was a good 3" too. Just walked around a bit then curled. Very odd...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, post-molt complications I guess. The exuvium was perfect, her new skin looked perfect. She was a good 3" too. Just walked around a bit then curled. Very odd...

Sorry to hear that, I hate it when Ts go out for odd reasons. Leaves me always scratching my head..:?

I've taken pictures with flash of a molting T as well, and nothing happened. The only Ts I wouldn't disturb while molting with a flash or flashlight is a sling. THey have a higher mortality rate while molting under stress.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that, I hate it when Ts go out for odd reasons. Leaves me always scratching my head..:?

I've taken pictures with flash of a molting T as well, and nothing happened. The only Ts I wouldn't disturb while molting with a flash or flashlight is a sling. THey have a higher mortality rate while molting under stress.
Okay, thanks so much. My versi sling is in pre-molt right now so good thing you told me that.

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Talking about this,

the flash of my camera never affect my t's but last night I was taking some ventral shots of my P.cambridgei and every time the flash was going off she was moving a few inches:confused:

Take care!

Alain

omni

Arachnobaron
I keep my PZB tank covered. She will be very reclusive, packing into a corner when I had open glass. I keep it dim for her now and she roams the tank. My Black and Whites are tiny slings and they can see out of their containers pretty well, scurrying around when lighting changes. My Coppers all hang out in the dimmest parts of their tanks. Pretty sure most T's will shy from bright lighting.