Suggestions Please

rebirthflame

Arachnopeon
Hi i have a Large exo terra faunarium (30L x 22W x 24H cm) im looking to get a terrestrial T Had an a.avic for about 6 months now

Im looking for something that will meet the following criteria as closely as possible

1. Quite large
2. Aggressive eater (something that will come out and chase its food)
3. Doesnt web too much (a little is ok i just dont want the whole enclosure to be webbed up like ive seen some OBT on here do)
4. Will either sit out in the open or take to an artificial burrow to make viewing easier
5. Urticating hairs worry me a bit (which is the reason im not going for a T.Blondi) i dont mind it having them i just dont want to be caught by them too often
6. Likes moderate to high humidity

Obviously im not expecting all of these criteria to be met but any suggestions will be much appreciated:2:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria geniculata, they dont need high humidity, I keep mine on dry substrate and a corkbark hide and a water dish....

Regards, Mike

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All that perfectly fits Acanthoscurria geniculata. Not one of those criteria is left out, except the humidity should be kept low to moderate not high.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is the smallest exo-terra terrarium,.........correct.

Correct me if I am wrong.............but I am not sure if this tank is suitable for a large terrestrial.

The front exo-terra doors will limit the depth of subtrate allowed, and floor space will be limited.

A. genic certainly meets your choice criteria, but I am not sure your tank does.

Just 0.02

Note: Should the dimensions be in inches, instead of centemeters? As they currently read (cm), this is a small tank.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Correct me if I am wrong.............but I am not sure if this tank is suitable for a large terrestrial.

The front exo-terra doors will limit the depth of subtrate allowed, and floor space will be limited.

A. genic certainly meets your choice criteria, but I am not sure your tank does.

Just 0.02

Note: Should the dimensions be in inches, instead of centemeters? As they currently read (cm), this is a small tank.

There is a way to go past this though, take the foam background off and hot glue it to where the doors are, then you can fill it up as much as you want. I've read and seen it done before.

rebirthflame

Arachnopeon
sorry i should have made it more clear its one of the plastic enclosures like a kritter keeper that exo terra make.

what kind of size enclosure would Acanthoscurria geniculata need?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A 12 X 12 X 12 X 12 inch Exoterra tank is fine IMO....Thats what I have one of my large female genics in, with the foam backing removed...

Regards, Mike

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sorry i should have made it more clear its one of the plastic enclosures like a kritter keeper that exo terra make.

what kind of size enclosure would Acanthoscurria geniculata need?
Oh I know what you are talking about now, the enclsoure you were thinking about using is fine.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What about #5 ?

My A Genic is a real a hair kicker, and from what I've been told it's a common trait for this species ?

Am I wrong ?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about #5 ?

My A Genic is a real a hair kicker, and from what I've been told it's a common trait for this species ?

Am I wrong ?

Most genics will kick if bothered to much....

Regards, Mike

I have found as they get older and larger they tend to calm down a bit, this is only from my personal experience.....

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
large T choice

A genic or L. para both would match the criteria, but the genic will flick sometimes, and the para has probably more itchy hairs. I have both and like both.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What about #5 ?

Am I wrong ?
No your right, but he didn't say NO urticating hairs. He just wants something that isn't as bad as THeraphosa blondi, which Acanthoscurria geniculata isn't. Mine only kicks when it starts to get really annoyed. I can nudge it here and there, but once it has enough it kicks up a storm.

rebirthflame

Arachnopeon
Urticating hairs arent a problem if i P%*£ a T off then i expect to get some kind of reprecusions....just dont want a cloud of hairs for any minor disturbance.

i quite like the sound of L.Para just did a little reading on them and they reach a nice size and dont seem to be too fast to defend themselves or dash about like a crazy thing....would this also be ok for my enclosure as they reach a bigger size than A.Genic.

Decisions Decisions:?

can anyone with both L.para and A.Genic give me the pros and cons to help me decide.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
your not gonna find many very large OW T's that don't burrow so i think he's accepted the fact of it having hairs, just not being notoriously bad.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have both, and L.parahybana reaches a nice size, just slightly bigger then A.geniculata I'd say. A.genic is much more beautiful though. I'd pick color over size any day, that's why I don't have a blondi yet.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Recommendation

HI, I agree with most, ACANTHOSCURRIA GENICULATA is your best option, it has a voracious appetite and a great size, beautiful colors in addition to it doesn't require of many cares. {D

Another good option is Aphonopelma Seemani or some Grammostola sp.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
HI, I agree with most, ACANTHOSCURRIA GENICULATA is your best option, it has a voracious appetite and a great size, beautiful colors in addition to it doesn't require of many cares. {D

Another good option is Aphonopelma Seemani or some Grammostola sp.
He wants a T that get's quite large, so I'm assuming the 7-8" range. Aphonopelma seemanni does not get that large, 6" max. Grammostola aureostriata would fit this catagorey as well, but they like it dry and they aren't the most aggressive of eaters.

I'd go with Acanthoscurria geniculata.

rebirthflame

Arachnopeon
decided to go with an A.Genic sling. cant wait till i get the little eating machine.

Thanks for all your help guys (and gals?)