Odd feeding behavior

omni

Arachnobaron
A bud and I had a good laugh at feeding time when we popped in a cricket to my g.rosea. I don't think it has anything to do with rosies particularly doing weird stuff, but when the crik got near instead of a grab/pickup and bite move, she just stomped on it with all 4 front feet! then pinned it on the ground for a couple mins at least, sorta just surrounding it with body and legs. It did then get away, apparently unbitten :? Thought maybe she wasn't really hungry, but she gladly snatched one the next day

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A bud and I had a good laugh at feeding time when we popped in a cricket to my g.rosea. I don't think it has anything to do with rosies particularly doing weird stuff, but when the crik got near instead of a grab/pickup and bite move, she just stomped on it with all 4 front feet! then pinned it on the ground for a couple mins at least, sorta just surrounding it with body and legs. It did then get away, apparently unbitten :? Thought maybe she wasn't really hungry, but she gladly snatched one the next day
Now that would odd been something to see lol

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heh heh. i have a rosie that does a similar thing. she'll stay still for a while, and when the crickets come, she inda puts her legs around it. i guess they just lkke to scare the crix to death... {D

Icey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a large male avic do that to a roach once, it fell near it and he just reached out and put a leg on it holding it down before leisurely moving closer and going for the kill {D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen this behavior as well from several species. The rosie does it frequently but i've seen it from a smithi adult and a juvie aureostriata. My opinion is that they are "taste/testing" the prey to setermine if it's something they want to eat. Maybe if they're not so hungry they get finicky about their meals.

What must it be like to be almost blind and to taste, smell and hear (sorta) with your feet?

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen this behavior as well from several species. The rosie does it frequently but i've seen it from a smithi adult and a juvie aureostriata. My opinion is that they are "taste/testing" the prey to setermine if it's something they want to eat. Maybe if they're not so hungry they get finicky about their meals.

What must it be like to be almost blind and to taste, smell and hear (sorta) with your feet?

Yeah I guess you're right they are tasting the food.. :D