Urticating hairs

omni

Arachnobaron
In the past couple days, I added 8 T's to my collection: some P. platyommas, P. cancerides, and N. coloratovillosus, a couple of each. They're all 2-4". I haven't handled them, and only touched the papertowels a little coming out of the vials and cups. Since these guys have been pretty active getting used to their new homes but no actual flicking at me, did they stir up these hairs into the air in the room, like do they float? I'm kinda itchy all over and wondered if this batch of spiders is what's did it and if it's that, will it settle out of the air in the room? I really haven't any experience w/ the hairs, I've only had a pzb and a bunch of tiny slings before getting these.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very likely.

Urticating hairs are microscopic and thus easily airborne, so wash hands and face with soap and allow the room to air is all you can really do each time they flick.

Hope this helps...

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it will go away whenever i change hair kicker cages around weather they kick at me or not i get the hairs all over my arms and the iching lasts a couple days but i never have a problem between cage swaps its just like dust it will settel pretty fast just wear gloves and long sleeves it it really bothers you if your anything like me the iching will last a couple days no matter what you do soap&water tape ect when they get me its a done deal :mad:

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had a large female B. smithi many years ago in high school and don't remember ever having a problem with her hairs and i even handled her. Before i gave away my previous T collection 10 years ago i had a 2" B. smithi sling that always woke up on the wrong side of the bed and that thing could give me a horrible rash without handling.

omni

Arachnobaron
I really dont notice it much now, I aired it out pretty good for a couple hours. Annoying for about 2 days, but not so bad ;)