Night Collecting

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a 175 watt mercury vapor light, but for some reason it was not working so I hooked up a 400 watt metal halide light.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
black l;ights

some good bug action there, UV blacklights work wonders as well

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep I have a uv black light that I made into a trap. It hooks up to a car battery and I can just leave it for a night out in a woods. It works wonders.:D

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have the car battery contraption as well, i love running lights but to this day i have had my best luck driving around and hitting dusk to dawn lights. if i could, i'd run a couple dozen black lights and drape an entire woods w/ sheets .
pitfall traps are productive and checking road kill is always a riot too

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For some reason I never have any luck with pit fall traps. I set it up with a container in the center and 4 boards that run to the container to funnel any insect coming by into the container. I then place a board over the top and weigh it down with a rock. I will also try different baits too, but even that has showed no results. How do you set up your pit fall traps?

Last edited:

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice uv trap - brings back fond memories. I used to sugar trees late afternoon in a path that was a .5 to 1 hour walk. It produced some pretty good results, too. I also had a tent affair over my light so I wouldn't fry incoming buggys.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i set pitfalls flush up against logs. bait them w/ a bit of spoiled chicken or dont bait them @ all i have tried sugar mixes etc but that attracts a lot of ants

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I never thought of putting it right next to a log. That is a good idea and I will have to try it next time I set up a pitfall trap.

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone ever used the beetle trap where you set up a screen mesh somewhere and then line the bottom of the net with pans. The clumsy beetle is supose to fly into the net and fall into the pans of liquid. I made one, but I have not tested it out yet.

Also has anyone ever made any underwater traps because I would like to try and make one.

Jeremy

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
minnow traps will do the job for underwater traps big water scavenger beetles and the occasional toe biter often show up in those - but check frequently or leave partially exposed to avoid drowning snakes and frogs.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
love the trap pics and wow, there really seems to be quite an assortment of moths out there...wonderful sizes...so do you collect them for documentation or just to make us city folks jealous lol

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is another trap I use. I use this for beetles and I place it on tree trunks in places where beetles would be flying. Places such as a hole that goes into a hollow spot in the trunk.

Attachments