How to get rid of ants?

xc_jamz

Arachnopeon
mga tol, HELP!! namatay ung pregy emperor ko dahil sa maliliit na ants...it breaks my heart...huhuhu...wat should i do pra d cla makalapit sa terrarium ko? swerte ko nlng nakaescape ung male...i found him under my bed...pls help me...

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I gather the best I could you have a pregnant emp and a male that escaped! the babies are as small as ants, how do you find them. The male was under the bed?

Is this correct?

If so a UV ultra vilolet light at night or in the dark can help as the glow under UV.

Other than that look in every corner and under every thing...

Sorry for my bad Tagalog :D

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sorry he forgot that this is an international forum and might not have read the rules...

heres the translation...

brothers!!! HELP!! my gravid female emp died because of small ants... it breaks my heart... huhuhu... what should i do so that ants will not go near my terrarium? luckly my male escaped...i found him under my bed...pls help me...

heres my question? how did the emp got off the tank? and are you maintaining the leftovers? or just leaving them there? ive seen plenty of Philippinos that do the 2 things... and always ask for help...

so heres my solution...

maintain the tank clean...
make sure it is secure and no runaways should happen anytime, (imagine an LQ on there and found it under your bed)...
have your place clean...
if the substrate starts to stink change the substrate fast...
etc...

@Thaedion
how did you learn tagalog?
{D

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mga tol, HELP!! namatay ung pregy emperor ko dahil sa maliliit na ants...it breaks my heart...huhuhu...wat should i do pra d cla makalapit sa terrarium ko? swerte ko nlng nakaescape ung male...i found him under my bed...pls help me...
either that's tagolog or someone's really drunk

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
its taglish actually, an informal language where tagalog words (Philippine national language) mixed w/ english ones... ending to some stupid sounds... pls is please... another l33t... or maybe shortcuts...

our language is rich of words... unfortunately such stupid sounds also comes along w/ the list.

ok folks... this guy is asking for help... ive done the translation, so folks... please help him...

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...heres the translation...

brothers!!! HELP!! my gravid female emp died because of small ants... it breaks my heart... huhuhu... what should i do so that ants will not go near my terrarium? luckly my male escaped...i found him under my bed...pls help me...
Here are some 'home made remedies' to ward off ants, petroleum jelly (vasoline®) smeared around the outside edge (base or top) of the aquarium would keep them from coming into the tank (I would go around the bottom of the tank, no gaps in the smear.) Another way (never tried by me) place a low, but wide empty box where the tank is set. Then place the tank on the box. The ants won't climb up the box. (so they say) Another (unproven by me way) "Simply sprinkle Cinnamon at and around the place they are invading" Ants don't like the spice at all, so they'll retreat from invading your home. (again so they say) You can also sprinkle baby powder or salt around the area to deter the ants. (I've used salt before and that seems to work) Another placed a small glob of Vicks® ointment at the end of their trail. You can mix together either white or apple cider vinegar in tap water and pour it in a spray bottle then, I lightly mist the area (all natural :D )

These are just things I found on the internet, the salt I used, the vasoline I used for my roach colony to keep them from climbing out of their tank, the others are up for debate, but this may get you on the way. :D

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
heres mine...

if the room temp goes above 30 celcius, dont use petrolume jelly, that makes a big mess if it is hot in your area.

go a good search on the search button below your name and PM's

if you cant still find one that works for you, go post back here... :D

ants dont like salt or spices, but if they cant resist the *stink* of the dead mealworm, crix etc... i think a weekly maintenace will keep them off. and if ants do not show up... still keep it going, or else they will go back loaded w/ millions of workers queens and soldiers and might settle on your tank as a revenge.

@Thaedion

maliliit is small, and its for the ants, not for the baby emps, i havnt yet seen a baby emp as small as an ant. if anyone have please Pm me. LOL!!!

google sometimes doesnt work that good...
thats why its google not goodle ;P

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
xc_jamz,

This is an intl. forum. Speak/write in english. Also, please avoid text speak. You have a full QWERTY keyboard, utilize it.

kahoy,

I believe Thaedion is either a Filipino or a Filipino at heart.;)
C. celebensis at 2I look like emps as small as an ant.

I have already posted this in another thread. But it is worth posting
again to give you an idea on how to avoid ant attacks.

Free standing shelf

I have stopped using Insecticide chalk. I fear that the chalk dust might contaminate my inverts or feeders. Instead, I use a free standing shelf with the legs lined with petroleum jelly. I inspect it quarterly.

See pic:

I also use a liquid ant bait. It is in a plastic cartridge where ants will crawl in, ingest the pesticide, and then leave. Ideally, the ants will carry the poison back to their colony. It works! I have not experienced any ant problems after using this system.

xc_jamz

Arachnopeon
hello guys

i really appreciate your help...thanks! hey phil pips, where can i buy a female? im in zamboanga city..im having a hard time finding a local petshop here...my scorps are gift from my dad when he came home from manila...now he's bc on his work...

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so now i assume that it is not an emp... maybe a Heterometrus spinifer from palawan that aranque or cartimar sellers tell as Emperor, cost is 500 pesos adult WC.

if it is from a reputable breeder from manila i think you should take good care of that, emps are rare on the hobby on the philippines, supposed to be rare somehow...

we want some pics, post some if you can so that we can give a definite ID.