Jumping spider loves spiders?

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all... i had posted a while ago on how to keep a jumping spider.. but i had to free it cause i actually couldnt find anything he would eat.. well yesterday i saw my dog trying to catch something on the wall.. and it was a jumping spider:D ..same species of the one i had found before, but bigger.. so i decided to try keepin it again.... first thing i did was trying to finally find something he would eat (he's bigger so it should be easier).. tried with a bug of the same size and wouldn't eat it...tried with an ant, totally ignored it.. tried with a kind of maggot i found in a fruit (same size, and juicy :D) and at first he got closer, stared the worm for a while and then just turned around and jumped away... i was a bit confused lol. Then i see one of those tiny spiders i got in my house that ran on my table (i got loads dunno what type of spiders they are) and i decided to give it a try, since they were slightly smaller... i placed one in and he immediatley spotted it, followed it and ate it.. i gave one today too with the same results, the spider immediatley gets the jumper's attention and is quickly eaten...it looks as if this jumpers just loves the taste of other spiders:D ... ill try to post pics soon

Edit: btw can anybody who keeps jumpers, post pictures of the enclosures?

Last edited:

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, this is a reason about their great intelligence: they've to manage other "intelligent" predators as preys.
But I'm sure that if you'll try with a more mobile prey, like a small cricket or a roach, it will interested as with the spiders.
Cheers
Ema

SilverFox

Arachnopeon
my brother had a jumper that stalked a fly once...very amusing. It creeped around the entire container until it was behind the fly