E. campestratus or B. albopolisum?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Last september I purchased five .25" "curly hair" slings from a website/seller that is no longer in business. They were only $3 each. Anyway, they now have molted five times, going on six(one already has), and they don't look much like B. albopolisum, the long "hairs" on the opisthosoma are pink, and the whole spider in general is dark brown, except for the legs, they are more greyish in color. I can see what might be a hint of striping near the "knee". They look more like young E. camps to me. When I purchased them, this dealer was also selling .25" E. camps for $2 each, so I think it is possible that a mix up may have occured. I don't have a camera otherwise I would show you a picture, but I would like it if people could show me a pic of a 4-7 instar of each species so that maybe I could compare, or just give me an opinion. thanks,
-Jesse

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
curly hairs are completely brown dude. can you post some pics?

www.invertepets.com has some great pictures attached to most of their T offers. try there. :)

also, you can look up pics of both using the search thread feature at the bottom of the main page. there are TONS of pics of both i'm sure.

check out the 1 & 1 1/2" curly hair slings on my page. see the link in my signature. hope that helps!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
btw, both are GREAT docile Ts, can't go wrong either way so don't be unhappy whichever they turn out to be.

those are two of my favorites. :D

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I guess what I was trying to get at is that I would like a picture of a 4-7 instar E. campestratus, to confirm my belief that I was indeed given the wrong species.

Although they are both very hardy species, they come from two different habitats, so knowing for certain which species I have will help me give them their optimum conditions.

At this point I do not care which species they happen to be, and aggressiveness/docility is not an issue for me, and yes I have searched the net high and low for pictures of both species, but I don't need pictures of adults, adults often look much different than slings and juveniles.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, as i mentioned, i have slings of both species if you'd check the link in my signature. beyond that, i'm not certain where they have sling pics of those species.

my apologies.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm digging through some old pics right now, i'll post some if-slash-when..

they'd be about 3 instars if thats cool

peace
dave

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm....I think that I've seen some really pretty curlies that have a pinkish/orangish hue to them.

Jon

Last edited:

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
um..my 4 curly hair slings are all a brown color. it varies from chocolate to a greyish at the legs. and obviously the shade varies with the molt cycle. i will try to find a scanner to post my pics. they are@ 1/2 to 1 in long:)
Kristin

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, after 7 molts and many months of waiting, I know for sure that the slings in question are indeed E. campestratus, and not B. albopolisum(sp?).