Correct name, PLEASE?!!

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok experts...

I would like to know, once and for all, what their real names are: Not based on guesswork or opinion, but on a published paper, so if you can help...

Eublaberus prosticus vs Eublaberus posticus?

Shelfordella tartara vs Blatta lateralis?

Cheers! :clap:

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is most definitley posticus, prosticus does not appear in any peer-reviewed article on the species.

As for the other, both have been used in professional articles as recently as 2005, however I think Blatta is more common in the U.S. and Shelfordella is more common in Europe. I'm not sure which name is proper according to the nomenclature rules though, I'm not that familiar.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Righto - Just you that answered, so...

No contest! {D

Thanks, Bud!!

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shelfordella tartara should be the correct name. I can look for the description if you want.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi Steven

Thanks for the reply. If you could point me at the literature, I'd appreciate it. :worship:

Cheers!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Blatta lateralis was the first name given to the species but it was later accidentally redescribed as S.tartara. Normally the first description has rank so I'm not sure why some people who know Blatta was first use Shelfordella. Even if it were thought to be a purposeful change in generic designation, which it wasn't, the species name should still be the first ('S. lateralis').

Last edited:

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi Steven

Thanks for the Hyperlinks, but you do know they point to the same thing?

Ok, so until I learn differently, I'm using Shelfordella lateralis! {D