Do All Arboreals Web?

icenola

Arachnopeon
Just Curious....:?

Do all arboreals web...or do some just hang in the trees....come down to the ground to eat...then retreat back off the ground? Not familiar with the type.

Thanks..

George

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure all arboreals web to some extent. Like take the genus Poeclotheria, they definately don't web as much as other species like Avicularia, but they do web to some extent. I believe Poecilotheria takes refuge in the hole of a tree or some kind of crack in the tree and then web around it a bit(especially when molting or laying).

Of course you can't forget about individuals that don't web.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My Avics all build webs. My Regalis builds webs with pieces of bark mixed in to create a neat hiding area.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In the early stages, and sometimes when you put a T into a new tank it takes them a while they don't web. Why I have no clue. I have 15 Rufilata slings and all they web for is molting, and then they tear it down.
Once an adult settles down in it's new tank they should start webbing but sometimes it takes a while.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
webbing

So far all my pokies will web sparingly, mainly to anchor their webbing to a structure, making a fairly thin tube web, not like my OBT where the tube web is almost impossible to see thru, its so thick.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if they are arboreal, my first guess would be they would need some sort of web.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Guys I think he's referring to WILD arboreal Ts..
And the answer still would be sparingly. The are much more mobile in the wild. Females will nest, and make webbing, they will hide for a molt and web. But they like to be more active in hunting prey instead of waiting for it like ground dwellers.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
No.

There are wandering arboreals. Plus of course the hundreds of species we don't know about.

-Sean

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How come captive arboreals make a web and stay there, and arboreals don't? Is it because of the limitations?

icenola

Arachnopeon
My main concern in asking is I thought about adding to my Terrestrial T's, but did not wish to get one that made too much webbing to block my view of the T itself. I'm guessing all the webbing they throw out is to capture its prey? (right?) So I was wondering if there were some that had little or no webbing so as not to interferre with the view.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My main concern in asking is I thought about adding to my Terrestrial T's, but did not wish to get one that made too much webbing to block my view of the T itself. I'm guessing all the webbing they throw out is to capture its prey? (right?) So I was wondering if there were some that had little or no webbing so as not to interferre with the view.
haha well the reason a T would web that much would probably be to block the view from you!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get Acanthoscurria geniculata or Lasiodora parahybana. Both are big VISIBLE Ts that don't web much, if any at all. The A.genic is more beautiful though.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
How come captive arboreals make a web and stay there, and arboreals don't? Is it because of the limitations?
Because in the hobby we only have nesting arboreals. But I've seen individual specimens wandering, without ever establishing a nest.

-Sean

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Because in the hobby we only have nesting arboreals. But I've seen individual specimens wandering, without ever establishing a nest.

-Sean
Yeah, like my Avicularia avicularia adult female. The only time she ever built a web was to lay eggs.

icenola

Arachnopeon
my bad...

Was thinking of adding an arboreal to my terrestrial collection...

sorry...

icenola

Arachnopeon
I said I wanted to add to my Terrestrial collection and the two you suggested I thought were also Terrestrial T's. So I realized I did not make myself clear about adding an arboreal. Unless I'm mistaken about the two suggestions?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I said I wanted to add to my Terrestrial collection and the two you suggested I thought were also Terrestrial T's. So I realized I did not make myself clear about adding an arboreal. Unless I'm mistaken about the two suggestions?
Oh then in that case sorry. There really isn't any arboreal T that won't web or hide unless you get an inidividual that won't web.