1st post!!!! holed up zebra knee

sevensouls2many

Arachnopeon
hey this is my 1st time posting a question long time reader i really love the feedback and advice people get and give on this site anyway to get to my question i have a zebra knee tarantula (i think it is a girl) that dug a tunnel and then sealed the entrance she has been in there i would say about 2 months iam starting to worry any advice :wall:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just wait it out. She could be down there going through the later parts of her molt process, or recovering from a molt. Disturbing her now could result in her death because you don't know where she is.

T's are not in the habit of diggin their own graves. But if in a few more weeks you get overly worried you can gently unearth her and see what's going on.
So you can't see her at all from any angle? I really think you will be fine waiting, she should open it up when she is good and ready.
How big is she?

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am guessing that you are talking about A. seemani? (dark T with lighter stripes at the knees and pinkish color on the ventral (under) side?) I have 2 of them and I hardly ever see either one! They usually stay in their burrows and fast most of the winter, then they will eat their fill during the summer, but this year so far only one is eating-and after owning it for @ 4 years now, I'm finally not wondering if she's dead....though if she stays under ground for too many more months, I know I will again- even though I know better! LOL!. So it is completely normal behavior, and doesn't necessarily mean an upcoming molt, so don't be disappointed if she doesn't. I've often thought these are the most boring T's I own....but definately the cheapest to feed!{D

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi, that is normal, there isn't anything wrong with your T, I have an Aphonopelma chalcodes, on December it did the same thing that your, dug a tunnel and then sealed the entrance, I never saw it again until march (molted on april), in all those months it didn't eat and never go out during the day nor the night.. but now it spends almost all the time out.. :razz:

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Similar situation over here. My A.seemani dug a burrow against the glass and sealed herself up. I could check on her every day to see how she was doing. Eventually she molted, and after about three weeks later, and after becoming very impatient, I just dug her up. She had been down there for about three and a half months. Once she was out, talk about an eating machine! Good testiment to just how long they can be down there without food and water, so I wouldn't worry too much.

sevensouls2many

Arachnopeon
she is right about 3' in leg span i have only had her a year or so she has never molted while with me, i also have an OBT which really makes up for my lack of seeing the other boy does he make his presense known

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Welcome. :clap:

Yes A. seemanni will "hole-up" for long periods in my experience.
months at a time... and not always for molting.

Good luck.
Great Spiders too.