Sick T's

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This thread is not for me, it's for the whole community. I have noticed an increase in the sick T's threads as of lately and am wondering about this white foamy mouth thing... First off, where are all of the people located?? This could have something to do with where your crickets are coming from, which could lead to the source of the problem. Sickness like that just doesnt appear from nowhere, it hitches a ride somewhere...Why is it that some people never have problems and others do?? Could it have to do with location and where you get your food from??

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
there was a long discussion about this very thing on the ATS Yahoo list awhile back, which then prompted Kerry Gowin and Larry Boyd to get to where they are now with the researching of nematodes etc.
So little is known about it, that most of it at this point is speculation. There are folks working on it now. I'd suggest joining the ATS list and reading through all the archived posts...it was a fascinating discussion!

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I may do that..but still wonderng where all of the sick T's are located??

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
all over the place...that's the interesting part. Your theory about tainted prey was also discussed...

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by pixi14369
I may do that..but still wonderng where all of the sick T's are located??
I lose a pinktoe to it, and I live in Arizona

Ernie

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Now it's my turn to deal with a sick T:(

I thought it could have been the food source too.
But I feed ALL of my T's the same food. I also keep
a pretty good supply of food items and would have noticed
a problem with them first. I look at my T's daily and no one else
has the frosty (foamy) stuff around their mouth.
So, it's not the food.
I think the common link is the fact that these T's are mostly
wild caught specimens.

Something else I just thought of is the water, I use bottled
water for my T's, No worries there either.

Just another big puzzle, huh? :?

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello!
The Research Institute of Exotic Species Microbiology will glady send you what you need for sampling. We may be able to at least ID what is going on and help the community in the process. Please read the post detailing our work under the title(s) Research Institute of Exotic Species Microbiology.
At this point we cannot rule out anything. If it is insect parasitic nematodes then it must have a vector. It is not limited to wild caught specimens. Nematodes have different stages during their life cycle sometimes requiring different hosts different nutrients, different beneficial bacteria upon which they feed. This beneficial bacteria is toxic to its insect host. These nematodes are readily sold as "beneficial nematodes" as a natural pesticide. Subsequently, these nematodes readily parasitize tarantula prey. However it is debated how these nematodes are entering the T. I do not believe it is the mouth unless encysted nematode eggs are so tiny that they make it through the mouth "sieve." Upon examination of infected deceased T's I have found nematodes in the surrounding areas of the booklungs embedded in the abdomimal wall. A possible point of entry. But I have also found them (IME adults) in the esophageal tissue and the outer mouth area (IME infective juveniles) Sometimes, by the time you notice any symptoms it is too late. When we ID and understand the nematode cycle and the bacteria that it produces and which upon it feeds we will all be a lot happier around here.
If you need anything please do not hesitate to ask.
Kerry

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, well if it ever happens to me, i will definatly get in touch with you..but then again..If you would like to hold my H.lividum while i swab it, be my guest...:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've lost one in florida, 1 in boston (leaking from its anus too, which aparently is a sign of muscle tone loss, as per Rick West, and not related to nematodes), almost 1 in pittsburgh (took a turn for the better for some fortunate reason?) and i've got one now in minnesota with a small bit of the white mouth, but again, hopefully it's turning around.. i'm not sure though... I can't tell if its nematodes or not. I'm sending off for a kit though, at any rate...

def. pore through the old ATS articles (atsenthusiasts on yahoogroups).

though, i'm in the process of switching all of mine to my organic mix...

peace
dave