I Need some Information on My Chilean Rose Hair

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Chilean Rose Hair has started the process of molting {D . He Started This morning at about 1am. Right now he in on his side and he looks dead :( . I called the pet store that I got him at and they said that it takes a few days to molt. My Tarantula had not eating in about 7-8 months and now he started molting.
I was worried :8o that he may have died in the process, so I started to move him about. He started to move so I stopped. Thats when I called the pet store. I was wondering is I may have disturbed him enough to kill him and is it true that it takes a couple of days to shed??

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok to start with, don't touch the tarantula again!!!!!!!!! No, it does not take a couple of days to moult but it can take 8 to 12 hours or longer.
Leave it alone, do not touch it.
I know a first moult can be unnerving, but don't worry. Your T knows what it is doing. You need to sit down, take a deep breath, and relax. Do not move or touch your T, even after it flips upright again, it will be very soft and injuring it will be very easy.
Its okay, I promise. Keep us updated. Now go sit on your hands so you don't move your spider, LOL!!!!
Its okay, really. *hug* Don't panic.
By the way, welcome to the boards and to the hobby!!!! Most of us refer to it as an addiction. Just wait, you will get hooked too, then you'll have as many as I do. (62 at last count)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Chilean Rose Hair has started the process of molting {D . He Started This morning at about 1am. Right now he in on his side and he looks dead :( . I called the pet store that I got him at and they said that it takes a few days to molt. My Tarantula had not eating in about 7-8 months and now he started molting.
I was worried :8o that he may have died in the process, so I started to move him about. He started to move so I stopped. Thats when I called the pet store. I was wondering is I may have disturbed him enough to kill him and is it true that it takes a couple of days to shed??
First off don't touch him at all leave him be until he finishes the molt somes they don't move much or at all. if he is on his back then he is more than not still alive. depending on the size of your tarantula determines how fast he will molt. if its a sling then it should finish molting by the time the day is over..if its a juvenile it should finish by the same time tomorrow if not earlier...if its an adult it could take up to 24 - 48 hours be patient.

Make sure there is NO food in the enclosure at all.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't move him, don't touch him again, just let him be. Molts can take a while. Your pet shops synopsis of a couple of days is a bit long but many hours is normal especially with an adult tarantula. My 3.5" juvenile rosie laid on her back for at least 6 hours before the actual molting began. You'll hear references to the carapace "popping" that means the carapace is beginning to seperate from the body thus beginning the actual molting.

A few questions:
How big is your rosie?
How long has it been lying on its back?
If not on it's back how is it currently positioned?
has it actually begun shedding it's old exuvium (skin) yet or is it just lying there?

Make sure your t has access to a full water dish (no sponge) and can remain undisturbed in a dark, quiet location.

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My t is about 4 inches.
He was lying on his back for about 6 hours.
He is currently on his side with his legs positioned anove his "head". This was hoiw I found him this morning at 11:30. Thats why I moved him.
He broke the back off.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"He broke the back off."

Cool. That's the carapace popping. Let him run with it and if you want, check in on him every so often. Watching a molt as it happens is a rare treat since they usually do it late at night. It's amazing to see and it seems like such an effort for the spider. It's like being born or something. Now that he's popped his top it will probably take another hour or three to finish. After that you'll still want to let him alone and don't stress him out. Don't offer any food for 10 days or so as the fangs need time to harden before he can eat. Also if there are any crickets in there now they need to be removed pronto.

Congrats!

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My t is about 4 inches.
He was lying on his back for about 6 hours.
He is currently on his side with his legs positioned anove his "head". This was hoiw I found him this morning at 11:30. Thats why I moved him.
He broke the back off.
Woo-hoo!!

If the carapace is popped then you are in for a treat, grab some popcorn, pull up a chair and watch in amazement (thats what I do minus the popcorn)...and get ready for a newly outfitted rosea!!

Enjoy

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My T is still in the exact same position as when I first posted, could there be complications?????

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you should chill for a sec. :cool: if the carapace is popped, it should be shedding slowly and periodically now. look again in a couple hours. if it's still in the same position, THEN you might have a problem...

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could be but I would not get alarmed yet. When you say the exact same position, does that mean that the molt has not progressed? Or has it progressed, but the T has not moved from that position?

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It popped open when I was asleep so I don't know. I know he is still alive cause I can see pulses in his abdoman. His legs are above his head straight out and I have no idea if this is normal.. From what I have read the molt should have been done by now????

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have also taken the liberty of placing a dark cloth over his tank so that it is dark for him

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The pulsing is normal. It's pumping blood and flexing to get out of the old skin. Keep in mind, every molt as T's get bigger and older, gets harder on them. It's takes them longer and it takes more out of them. Give it more time before you get bent out of shape. It should be done with the molt and starting the recover in a few hours but if it's not, that doesn't mean all is lost. Just keep us updated on the progress. Good luck.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Arachnidgirl, with your next post could you say how long it has been since tha carapace popped? Or rather how long since you first noticed it had popped.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My B smithi molted 2 months ago, it was the first I personally saw, and it took 11hours.

So hang tough, he knows what he is doing!!!:)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How's it going Arachnidgirl? I'm curious, is she OK?

arachnidgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sadness

I am sorry to say that Goliath did not make it:(
He did not make it out of his molt...He sis keep moving a little though. I'm gonna get another T., but I'm not sure what kind to get. I was thinking Pink Toe or another rosie???

I'm so upsey..:(

I would like to thank all of the ppl that have given me information and trying to calm me down...I appreciate it

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry to hear the lose...

so the rose hair's name is Goliath? maybe you should get a T.blondi next then ;)