Scolopendra heros heros resp. castaneiceps

skolopender

Arachnopeon
Hi Folks !

1st of all i have to say Hello to all of you as i'm a really greenhorn (for centipedes only as i'm keeping tarantulas for more than 13 years) in this Forum !
I got my 1st centipede (S. morsitans) 2 weeks ago together with a baby-centipede of S. subspinipes Red Malaysian tiger (thanks to Sören !).

As you may know ;) it's the same problem with the centipedes as with the tarantulas - it's simply not possible for such "miserable" character :D like me to be satisfied with only one species....

So i'm looking forward for a S. heros heros or S. heros castaneiceps on the next dealer show (this sunday) in Austria.
As i know that these 2 species are origined in Arizona resp. in Texas (?) i guess, that they would need not the same conditions (temperature, humidity) than other centipedes like the asian species !?
Therefore need you help/experience in these species like if it's better to mix some sand in the ground too or should i keep the ground only more dry ?

I would be very grateful for ANY information/experience you can give me for these species - Thanks !

(Sorry for my poor English...)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Nothing wrong with your english, nothing to apologize for. I've been keeping my S. heros heros and S. heros castaneiceps much the same as I keep my other adult pedes. They're on a peat/vermiculite substrate and a have a water dish that I over fill a bit twice a week to soak the substrate underneath it a bit. Other than that, the rest of the substrate in the tank is dry. They're both eating fine and the S. heros heros, I think, molted a couple of weeks ago. As they eat the molt, I can't be sure, but it burrowed and I hadn't seen it for about a month and before and after that time, it has been out and about. I kinda liked it better when it didn't roam so much as I didn't have to constantly keep getting it off of the top of the tank, it keeps climbing the silicon in the corners... :(

Hope that helps some,

Scott

skolopender

Arachnopeon
Hi Scott, thanks for yr reply ! I have still one question - which temperature (if possible in Celsius please as i hv no idea about the factor between Celsius and Fahrenheit...) in average you recommend for centipedes ?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I generally keep mine at room temperature which is about 22 -26 degrees celsius.

Scott

skolopender

Arachnopeon
Surprising ! Not more ? I thought, that they need at least around 28°C.... - but O.K., so it's much more easier for me as i hv currently in the tanks without any heating, only with the light on around 25°C; so i'm calm with my current temperatures !

Thx again !