How long on back before molt?

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 1.5-2" Cyriopagopus sp. (blue) that has been on its back for at least 12 hours. I found it about noon today on its back with the legs spread wide. Now just after midnight, it is still on its back wit the legs curled. I misted the tank and covered the mesh with saran wrap. How long should I wait before I assume something is wrong and what do I do then (if anything)?
Spar

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my 2" B smithi took 11 hours b4 the actual molt took place. GL.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would watch it very carefully. If there is absolutely no movment I would be conserned.
Does it look like it has atleast started the molt?

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No signs that the molt proper has begun. Just hanging out on its back. No popped top, no movement.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
uh, then it doesn't look good. she might still molt, but for a t as small as that 12 hours without anything happening is a very long time. when you say curled legs, do you mean like in a death curl? good luck with her!

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK I'm pretty sure its dead because when I pulled it out the spinnerettes looked weird. Upon closer inpection they looked infected. Does anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it.

substrate: coco bark
temps: 75-85 F
humidity: no meter, water dish and misting.
on breaking down the tank there was no mold or anything noticable. It smelled fine. Tank and spider have been set up for about 4 months.
Thanks

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a 1.5-2" Cyriopagopus sp. (blue) that has been on its back for at least 12 hours. I found it about noon today on its back with the legs spread wide. Now just after midnight, it is still on its back wit the legs curled. I misted the tank and covered the mesh with saran wrap. How long should I wait before I assume something is wrong and what do I do then (if anything)?
Spar
if you covered the mesh with saran wrap, wouldn't that suffocate it within the 12 hr period?

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No. tarantulas don't use nearly as much oxygen as us and it wasn't a tight seal. The mesh is on the side of the tank and I held it in place at the top with a jar and I weigted the bottom with a chopstick so it wasn't even clinging to the sides.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just my two cents

First off, if you did lose the spider, sorry for your loss.
I am not sure on expected time for molting with that species, but the longest mine have ever taken has been I think up toward two days from initially flipping until the newly molted spider righted itself. This was a large T. blondi ( molt measures ~9 across). My smaller spiders are usually done within a number of hours. Second, I noticed you mentioned covering the cage with plastic wrap. It would be better to make sure your humidity levels are good before the spider takes on a stressful process like molting. Personally I like to eliminate as many potential husbandry issues as soon as possible. For tropical species I keep the humidity high at all times by having reduced air flow. This works for my reptiles as well as my inverts. Keep enough for proper ventilation though. Now I may be rambling. In short, be sure conditions are right before the spider molts. I don't know why your spider had a problem so I am not trying to say that is the only thing that may have caused this, just one possibility.