Whats happening to the Toads?

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the past week I've been up north and enjoying nature. Two days ago I caught an american toad, one of the largest I've ever seen. I put him in a large plastic container with a ton of air holes with 2" of moistend dirt, and a few pecies of sod. I made sure he was in the shade. By the next night, he was dead. Yesterday I caught another toad, this time a bit smallier, he was set up the same way but in a kritter keeper for better ventalation. Now today I found him stiff and unallert, but not dead... yet. What do you think is happening? ~ Rex

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could be that there is pesticide or some kind of chemicals on the dirt/sod that is affecting him. Could also be heat stroke from being outside in a glass/plastic cage, even in the shade with ventilation it will get hot.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply.... It wasn't exactly a burning question, but an unusual occurance. ~ Rex

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah you probably cooked them to death! Toads are extremely hardy, and I think heat is the only thing that could kill in such a short timeframe.

Sof

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, sounds like it was from the heat. Even with my toads (that I locally caught), if I take them out from under neath the bark they hide during the day to clean or whatever, they will always go right back under or anywhere its dark.