Fastest, most defensive T.?

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is the fastest, nastiest T. you have kept? Which species (or individual of a species) are you most cautious with? Which one keeps you on your toes?
I'm going with the Usambaras.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
RVS said:
What is the fastest, nastiest T. you have kept? Which species (or individual of a species) are you most cautious with? Which one keeps you on your toes?
I'm going with the Usambaras.
The genus Pterinochilus and Ceratogyrus i think! I had a adult female A seemanni that was very agressiv to. CHEERS!!!///Johan

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmmm. We just got 7 usumbaras (thanks Drake!!) but they're still tiny, so no worries there yet.
At this point I'd say our worst is a large female chinese black tiger. She's fast, aggro and postures and stridulates at the slightest movement. And then sometimes she just comes flying out at my face with absolutely no warning =)
I've kept some of the nastiest, fastest venomous snakes but they never had me as much on guard as this T does. She's fast, unpredictable and REALLY wants a piece of me. But we love her.

Attachments

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I disagree with everyone... yay!!!!!! I have had the chance to work with lots of Ts and I can say that the fastest are the Psalmopoeus, Poecilitheria, Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum (definitely the fastest in my opinion). The most defensive are Haplopelma and C. crawshayi. My winner goes to C. crawshayi with a clse second being a Haplopelma tied with Stromatopelma calceatum.

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well with my collection as for fast,,, by far hands down are my Pokies, they just cant be beaten for speed. As for aggressive no contest my 7 inch P.Cancerides male, full postures, stridulates, kicks hairs all the above at any given time. Real nasty fella.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
since I tend to go for more docile species....in my experience the fastest and most defensive is Psalmopeous irminia. Compared to some of the species some of you keep, the P irminia may seem like a teddy bear!!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Fastest t's I've had would be avics, pokies, H. macs and P. lugardi. Most defensive/agressive was hands down L. difficilis. Never seen a nastier T.

AnimalMother

Arachnopeon
When I started collecting tarantulas 1 and a half years ago, I started off with a male Ceratogyrus brachycephalus that was the size of a quarter.

Eventually, I got a Mexican redknee and a cyclosternum fasciatium (which has recently died and been replaced with a Aphonopelma seemani, which was brown and gray when I bought it but recently molted to its beautiful black coat)

I have no problem holding the mexican redknee, and My Costa rican suntiger was very nervous, skittish, and defensive, and any time I ever held it it immediately crawled up my arm to my neck in a matter of a second, So I decided that Holding it was not such a good idea.

I have yet to hold my zebra yet, it has molted the first week I bought it and I dont want to pick it up until its skin has hardened, but I will pick it up with no problems when the time is right.

But I must say, my Ceratogyrus brachycephalus is the tiniest spider I have, and it scares the crap out of me. It is fast, aggressive, and plainly put, is one badass. I have had it the longest out of my collection, and have held it 0 times.

modeus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Having owned at some time or another several T. Blondi's and even a black earth tiger I would have to say the one that has kept me on my feet the most is my phormictopus platus, she was a total bad ass but has mellowed with age...\m/

Attachments

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right now my OBT and my H. lividum. they are both very quick and have the most harmful bites out of my collection. Although, i use extreme care around ALL of my T's because one could attack, even the most "docile" ones, for no apparent reason.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fastest: Poecilotheria ornata & Heteroscodra maculata
Most defensive: Ephebopus murinus

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As of right now, my Cyclosternum fasciatum is my most aggressive, followed by my Nhandu chromatus. (And yes, I have an OBT. He is the pet rock in the house.)

Rick

Sadistik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My nastiest one would be my Chilobrachys huahini female she is a real *fuddy duddy* giving me a nice threath when I open the tank to feed her :worship:
My fastest is my OBT I think or my Holothele incei spiderlings damn those things dont stop running crazy things :?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have only got 9 Ts now

Out of the 9, I would have to say my H. lividium is the fastest
and most aggressive.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's a tie between my 5" P.Irminia & 5" E.Murinus but I think my E.Murinus is a wee bit nastier.

big-n-hairy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
right now my fastest and most defensive would be my female H. minax. in time my H. maculata sling will surely be right up there.

Potatoemoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would have to say that the fastest and most aggressive would, out of my 2 T's, be my P. lugardi. Especially since my others is a Rosie.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is going to sound very strange but it's true lol. I have 1 - Adult/subadult H. maculata, 2 adult sub/adult female P. lugardi's, 1 - 3 inch P. murinus, 1 - 1 1/2 inch P. murinus, but the one that so far has tested me on every occasion of opening its enclosure is a healthy sub adult female E. campestratus I can't even touch the water dish and she's striking. The fastest one I've encountered so far (Yet to have to change the H. mac enclosure) was by far the P. murinus. My P. lugardi's are lovebugs ;)

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is not in my experience, but from everything I've heard and read
Stromatopelma calceatum

That's why it's on the back of my "to get arboreal" list.

From what I own.

Fastest: T. gigas

[I haven't once startled it so that it took off at top speed, but I don't want to see it. The fastest T I've seen is my P. cambridgei]

Most defensive: it's a tough call, but I'd probably say the cobalt blue. I haven't needed to unearth her for a substrate/cage change in quite a while, but I don't think she'll be too happy.

The pokies and the H mac just want to run, for the most part.

I have however, gently nudged an N. chormatus with forceps, had it zip up so that it was on top of the forceps (they were horizontal), bite at the forceps and then run back down into the cup. :eek:

Last edited: