heat mat question

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is it ok to have my heat mat under the hole kritter keep IF IT ONLY puts the temp up to 75? the temp in my room is usauly 68ish so if this heat mat i have brings the tank up to 75degrees. Is it ok to have the mat under the hole tank(i havea mex red knee)

jpet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't use the heat mat 68 degrees is fine for a redknee.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Forget the heat mat. It's not necessary and can potentially harm the tarantula.

From the point of view of a longtime herper I can tell you that commercially available heat mats are geared towards reptiles and will all put out heat in excess of 90F. This means you'd need to buy a good quality controller and have the probe inside your tank. This is all going to run you close to, or over $100 US and not be of any help.

You seem to be struggling with wanting to do more for your tarantula than is necessary. I understand your intentions are good and it is a common theme here with beginners.

This is all you need to do for your B. smithi to keep it healthy for years to come.

1- Set up a proper enclosure with some dry peat/coco husk etc, a water dish and a hide.

2- Keep clean water available at all times, and do not mist a smithi.

3-Offer food every few weeks, take out unwanted prey and leave it alone when it is not hungry or going through molts.

4- Spot clean if desired, and maybe once every two years completely change the substrate.

That's pretty much it. I'm not an authority on the subject, but I'd be willing to bet that more tarantulas die prematurely due to stress from being fussed over too often than from neglect. Relax and enjoy it......

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Despite what evryones said. im leaving the mat on low under the tank. It now has the tank at an evin 70degrees instaid of around 65ish. It is on low and there is 2 other higher heat settings. So iwll jsut keep it on low

jpet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
True wisdom is achieved when you stop learning from your own mistakes, and start learning from the mistakes of those who have come before you..
I like this quote

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I like this quote
lol i know but still.. eveyroen probly thinks thsi heat mat is crazy hot. I have it set to warm lol. Its comfortable warm lol. THe tank isint going any higher then 70 so its fine imo

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Well then why did you ask? People are going to stop answering your questions if you disregard the answers of much more experienced hobbiests. Brachypelma could live their entire lives eating one every three months in 50 degree weather. They are nearly impossible to kill.

Unless, of course, you cook them. :rolleyes:

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are nearly impossible to kill.
Unless, of course, you cook them. :rolleyes:
Or use a hammer? lol j.k. But i was jsut kinda curiouse 2 see everyone elses views on it. I didint realise it would only set the temp to 70 on low. Thnx for all teh imput everyone

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I must be a glutton for punishment, but others may read this thread as well.....:rolleyes:

The commercial heating pads for humans don't have thermostats either. The settings put out a measured amount of power that just happens to settle at 70 at your rooms' current temperature. If you have an usually warm day the pad is not going to shut itself off, but continue to artificially raise the tank temp. It will also possibly dessicate the spider, who may instinctively dig down to escape the heat.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude. You know, you asked about the heat mat and got multiple responses telling you not to use it but you're going to use it anyway. I have B. smithi and my house is in the 60's all winter. I also have P. regalis and P. irminia and L. parahybana and they're all ok with out supplemental heating.

The pokie grew from 1/2 to over 3 inches in 6 months unheated.

Don't use the heat mat.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Or use a hammer? lol j.k. But i was jsut kinda curiouse 2 see everyone elses views on it. I didint realise it would only set the temp to 70 on low. Thnx for all teh imput everyone
If you absolutely MUST use the heat pad, and for whatever reason, it appears you must, at least put it under just one side of the enclosure so if the spider decides that it's too warm for its liking on a particular day, it can move from the higher heat to the lower heat.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you absolutely MUST use the heat pad, and for whatever reason, it appears you must, at least put it under just one side of the enclosure so if the spider decides that it's too warm for its liking on a particular day, it can move from the higher heat to the lower heat.

im doing that, turned on at night, the temp is so slow taht its barley geting to 70 at night in winter( once it wrams up where i live its coming out, (btw i live in canada)

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not sure if this was said before, but isn't it a bad idea to use a heat mat with a plastic KK?

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not sure if this was said before, but isn't it a bad idea to use a heat mat with a plastic KK?
IV heard mixed things. For one the mat isint hot, its warm.
2. IV heard alot of people say heat mats are ok on kk
3. iv heard alto of people say its bad on them
Its probly best to just moniter 2m make sure there is no meltage. Idk the melting point of that plastic in kk's. Its all down to personal preference thoe. Im just gonna make sure my mat aint on all the time and its gonan be off soon anyways. once winter passes. This week is been super cold where im at in canada so yeah..

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
im doing that, turned on at night, the temp is so slow taht its barley geting to 70 at night in winter( once it wrams up where i live its coming out, (btw i live in canada)
Is that at the substrate surface or at the floor of the enclosure? As has been said already, tarantulas dig down to escape heat. They don't have the capacity to realize that the heat is coming from below. The temperature you need to be concerned about is at the floor of the tank because that's where your t is going to be. A heat mat on the bottom of the tank will probably cook your t sooner or later so if you choose to ignore all these people telling you it's a bad idea at least put the mat on the side of the tank.

If you continue as you've stated you'll probably kill your t either by cooking it or by dessicating it over time.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is that at the substrate surface or at the floor of the enclosure? As has been said already, tarantulas dig down to escape heat. They don't have the capacity to realize that the heat is coming from below. The temperature you need to be concerned about is at the floor of the tank because that's where your t is going to be. A heat mat on the bottom of the tank will probably cook your t sooner or later so if you choose to ignore all these people telling you it's a bad idea at least put the mat on the side of the tank.

If you continue as you've stated you'll probably kill your t either by cooking it or by dessicating it over time.

WEll the thermoiter i haev is actuly at the substrate. about half an inch into it. (complex story lol) But yeah its nto one of those circle ones. and it was reading 70ish. about a half an inch into substrate. There is abour 4inches of substrate

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
WEll the thermoiter i haev is actuly at the substrate. about half an inch into it. (complex story lol) But yeah its nto one of those circle ones. and it was reading 70ish. about a half an inch into substrate. There is abour 4inches of substrate
So with 4" of insulation between the heat source and the thermometer you're getting 70 deg. Bury the thermometer so it's at the bottom of the tank right on top of the heat pad and see what you get.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So with 4" of insulation between the heat source and the thermometer you're getting 70 deg. Bury the thermometer so it's at the bottom of the tank right on top of the heat pad and see what you get.
ill try that lol.. And the mat aint under the hole tank. Its like less then half(not under the hide or the water dish)