Mirror patch

Kizzywhizzy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering what a mirror patch was because I have read that they are on G. Roseas but none of mine have them

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's an iridescent patch of urticating hairs. They're not always very obvious in G. rosea, but do a Google Image search on Cyriocosmus elegans, and you'll get a good idea of what they look like.

Tim

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my smaller rosehair has one of those, its rectangular shaped

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A mirror patch is an area of urticating hairs on the abdomen that reflects light in a way that's different from the other hairs around it, so it looks like a shiny spot on a T's butt.

Sometimes they can be hard to see and to me frankly it just looks like a scab or something, but here is a pic where you can see it pretty clearly, it's the tan-ish looking spot on the abdomen:

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/gallery/G-rosea.jpg

Maybe someone else can explain more of the science behind it though.

Karen

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Davus fasciatus comes to mind. BTW there's a lot of info on the mirror patch if you would care to use the search function...I was wondering this a while back and found answers through the search.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
can someone post a picture of what a mirror patch looks like?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's the one on my female Homoeomma sp. "Blue". It's really obvious on her, almost as much so as an Avicularia versicolor. My Grammostola aureostriata also has a nice one.

pitbulllady

Attachments

Last edited:

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
does all tarantula species have this mirror patch :?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wolfpak said:
does all tarantula species have this mirror patch :?
No, just certain New World spiders, among them the Grammostola and Paraphysa.

pitbulllady

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So, is any bare patch on the abdomen of a urticating hair-kicker then called a "mirror patch"?

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I reckon if you wanna see a mirror patch, check out the Thrixopelma Cyaneum

here...

and this is not from kicking them at me, he's just allways had a huge mirror patch, and it shines a lovely gold color aswell :D

big_loader

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are a few shots from different angles to show how the light is reflected. Excuse the low quality pics (Phonecam :rolleyes: )

(Click for bigger image)

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I've tried looking on mine. I don't see light reflected. I see a bare scabby spot. :confused:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Varden said:
So, is any bare patch on the abdomen of a urticating hair-kicker then called a "mirror patch"?

A mirror patch isn't "bare". It has urticating hairs covering it, but those hairs are reflective. It probably serves as some type of warning to predators, especially birds, that the T would not make a very good meal. Tarantulas with actual bare patches on their abdomens are common in New World species, usually because they are either in pre-moult or because they tend to be more nervous and flick hairs a lot, and sometimes a mirror patch can fool someone who doesn't know better into thinking it's a bald spot, since it is usually so different from the surrounding hairs. A bare patch is NOT a mirror patch, since it's not reflective nor does it even have hairs covering it. If a spider has a bald, flaky or "scabby" spot on its abdomen, this usually means it either needs a moult or that it even has a fungal infection.

pitbulllady

Last edited: