White Flakes On Abdomen

tatteredimages

Arachnopeon
I just seem to be brimming full of questions today....Just went to check on my G. rosea, and noticed that on the upperside of the abdomen the skin looks to be very flaky and dry. ( I have never previously seen it like this before) Is this an indication that it is ready to molt, or in pre-molt? Previously this never occured when molting so I am a little confused...:?

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whatever it is, it's not premoult. Is it possible that it got something on its abdomen? Is it getting sufficiently hydrated? I really can't think what would do that. Hopefully someone else is more useful.

La citation que t'utilises est interesante. C'est qui, qui a dit cela?

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like a mirror patch to me. All rosea's have it and it looks white and flakey.

tatteredimages

Arachnopeon
i have never heard of the mirror patch before. what exactly is the meaning of it/what is it for??

anaconda

Arachnopeon
Don't be worried. Our G.rosea had "dandruff" too but was quite healthy. Just make sure that the flakes are not moving since this would be mites. Rosies like it on the drier side and since mites thrive in moisture rich environments, this should not be a problem.

tatteredimages

Arachnopeon
tima said:
La citation que t'utilises est interesante. C'est qui, qui a dit cela?
C'est une citation de Voltaire. ...Je pense que c'est très enclin..

Anaconda --- would it be helpful to fill the bottom inch of the tank with sterilized gravel or egg crate to reduce moisture? this was suggested to me by a girlfriend that has lizards, and I didnt think that it would work with a burrowing species of tarantula...but could it work?

anaconda

Arachnopeon
No. I kept our G.rosea on the dry side. If you look at where they come form it is an extreme climate. Keep a corner of it's enclosure (I used the corner with the water dish in it and overflowed it every 3-4 waterings) moist and it will do just fine. No misting is required.

Last edited:

anaconda

Arachnopeon
Is that French? Very sexy!!! Also, ours never burrowed but make sure it has a nice hide (we used half of a coconut shell purchased from a pet store) or something like half of a terra cotta planter, a piece of cork bark propped up, etc. Just someplace it can go to hide. And never use any paper product (egg crate) inside the enclosure. It will mold and invite all kinds of nasties!!

Last edited:

tatteredimages

Arachnopeon
I dont ever mist the enclosure, though I have been told that this is both beneficial and detrimental to the health of the spiderling....As it stands right now, the top inch of the substrate is bone dry, though the rest still looks moist. I leave it like this, though I believe I may have to change it again -- since cedric keeps trying to climb onto the roof. (a usual indication that there is something wrong in the ground?? am I right??)

i have a coconut husk in there for a hidey hole

Last edited:

tatteredimages

Arachnopeon
its still a spiderling right now, maybe the size of a Toonie ($2 coin if you arent from Cnda) with legs extended....it's in a litre (approx) atrium
its hasnt molted nor ate in about 4 - 5 months

Last edited:

Becca

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As long as the container doesn't seem to be overly large then it should be ok in that size. I have no idea how big a $2 coin is as I'm from England :eek: but as long as the t isn't overwhelemed by a huge container it'll be fine. A 1ltr container sounds about right for the size I am imagining.
G.rosea - like it dry I used pure vermiculite with mine and dampened one side of the container to allow it to have access to water. Needless to say they stayed on the dry side.
The so called Dandruff sounds to me like a mirror patch. A lot of Grammostola spp get this. It's just a patch of hair that is different to the rest of the hair on the abdomen. I can't remember exactly what it is... But if I had to sum it up now.. "Patch of hair"
Climbing the tank does often suggest the t is unhappy with the substrate, although it does sound to me like your substrate is perfectly fine.

Here's a link showing the mirror patch of a Grammostola chalcothrix.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/G.chalcotrix.htm

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ya my G. rosea just got over her hunger strike she didnt eat a thing for about 5 and a half months and then downed two crickets as fast as could be so no worries. have a good one;)

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pure vermiculite

pure vermiculite is not a good idea. It could prove abrasive to the ventral side of the tarantula. Mixed with peat or potting soil yes. 100%..no. As for tatterd.. you tarantula is fine unless you have mites which you don't. As for the sterile gravel in the bottom I would advise against that as well. It is simply a place for problems to develop. Go to your local garden center, get some totally organic potting soil, use that and you'll be fine. Don't use sand either. It can prove abrasive if it gets into their book lungs.

Remember one thing. Experience is the best teacher. Do some research on where your animal comes from naturally and then "don't" try and duplicate that. It is despite what some say not really possible to replicate the natural environment inside and enclosure. In other words, just because a spider comes from x environment with 88% humidity does not mean that it has to be an exact number inside a false environment. Thats like saying a saltwater fish tank is a little piece of the ocean..yeah. right. You'll be fine.

Becca

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ancientscout said:
pure vermiculite is not a good idea. It could prove abrasive to the ventral side of the tarantula.
Can you point me in the direction which suggests this please? I know you said could 'prove' so it obviously isn't a fact but I have personally NEVER had problems with it before, nor have I seen any complaints from other t keepers.

Also - It has been suggested that sand is not harmful to t's and the booklung theory is simply a myth. read the thread on it... there is a link which explains it.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=56867

Last edited: