digging up centipedes (in captivity)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you want to take out your pede for some reason, what method do you use to dig it up? I can't think of any easy ways to do it...

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Take something long thin blunt and sturdy and slowly drag it through the soil until the soils begins to move "on its own". Then you know where the pede is. Just tease it from there and it'll dig itself out (with a hellish fury if its one of the big guys).

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
flooding the enclosure works best for me!! they usally come right out..

wayne

Scolopendra

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if you're using gallon jars you can just roll the jar around at an angle in your hands and the cent' will eventually tumble to the surface. gently tho...

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you guys seriously use gallon jars for full grown centipedes? Seems like centipede cruelty to me!

Scolopendra

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would say its not a problem, much less "cruelty", for any centipede under
10" to reside in a gallon jar. they is flexible like rubber hose.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
you guys seriously use gallon jars for full grown centipedes? Seems like centipede cruelty to me!
Some full grown centipedes are 1/2" long. However, large centipedes do great in gallon jars. (Ahhh, man's inhumanity to centipedes. Sounds like one of those people who sterilize themselves so they won't have children that could have an adverse affect on the environment. Keep up the good work.) If you're worried about the centipede's feelings you should understand these animals live in tiny burrows and giving them too large a cage will stress them out unless provided a small areas inside that large cage for burrow construction so either way their residence is confined to a small area (unless you refuse to provide a small refuge out of cruelty).

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The fact that you mock my concern for the well being of my centipede, made me laugh. <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahahaha, this is a bit silly. Look a bit deeper in the subject, you will see that Elytra and Antennas is right and most of us will approve. From your response, i don't see you lasting too long on the forum :p. Do your research and learn respect for the ones who did.

phil.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The fact that you mock my concern for the well being of my centipede, made me laugh. .
wow dude, thats alittle harsh. before one can interject on husbandry issues, do some homework... our idea of ideal conditions can greatly differ from what is over doing it and what is borderline cruelty...most pedes are found in pretty tight crevices or in burrows. sooo needing space is not as big a concern as deep sub....<edit>

wayne

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm surprised that maturity is brought up on being concerned for a 8" pedes well being inside a 1 gallon jar.. ::::bored::::

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a fully-grown S. subspinipes that never left his burrow that was smaller than a DVD case -- I doubt he would have noticed a difference in a 1-gallon jar (he was in a 10-gallon tank and I never saw him in the majority of the space provided).

Anywho, back to the topic of the original post. :) Mine are all immature at this point and as such are in smallish containers. I put the small container in a large tub that they can't climb out of and gently run a wooden chopstick through the soil until the 'pede comes flying out. They usually have enough momentum to leap out of the smaller container, so double-tanking is helpful.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I'm surprised that maturity is brought up on being concerned for a 8" pedes well being inside a 1 gallon jar.. ::::bored::::
You've made your point, dial it down please.

I have a Small extendable snake hook, which is what I use for transferring/transporting them short distances anyway, and I just drag it through the soil gently...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dillon

i don't know who you are or what you have done. perhaps you have great success with your methods... but EandA wrote a good book on the care of centipedes... one of the only modern english hobbybooks out there.

between some of the other posters, E&A, and myself we have produced.... perhaps thousands of baby centipedes. i would say we probably have at least the beginnings of a good grasp on the captive husbandry of our little friends

now... i *can* see how someone who thinks centipede care should basically be the same as a mouse or little birdy would think a 1G jar cage would be cruel. but i choose to look out the success i and others have had in getting viable young out of centipedes in just such a cruel and nasty setup and then compare our relative ease to those who keep them in large inadequate cages and all the problems they have with mothers eating the eggs. centipedes are... centipedes. they are not mice or birds or lizards... or even tarantulas. they have a biology and drives that are unique to them and trying to treat them as anything else does them a disservice

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know, it always amazes me the number of bleeding hearts on here who chide keepers/breeders for doing what has brought them success for years without even bothering to display even a smidgeon of knowledge about the habits, neurobiology or anything else related to the biology and physiology of the animals in question. The base of this logic is anthromorphization, and that's the end result. I call this 'The Argument From Anthromorphization', although it's just another form of circular reasoning.

I need a large amount of space to feel comfortable, therefore my centipede must have a similar requirement. I can pass a bowel movement, therefore my computer must be able to do so as well. It's the same exact thing. Just because something is true for us doesn't mean it's true for our pets, especially when you realize the animals we keep usually try to live their lives in the smallest areas possible eg. burrows, scrapes under rocks, etc. They don't require much in the way of space and as others have pointed out, too much space can cause problems related directly to stress.

I actually do not dig up my centipedes. I wait for them to emerge from the burrows (where they spend 90% of their time) before I do substrate changes.

On the rare occasions when I actually do need to bring them out (presentations), I use an unsharpened pencil or the dull end of a pen.

Last edited: