A. Seemani

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tarantulas are very obviously not kept in the same conditions as they would in their naturla habitat. In that sense, it can become redundant to point out things found in nature.
it can be VERY inportant if you want to breed a species.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it can be VERY inportant if you want to breed a species.
Agreed, in breeding specifically.
But, for example, you wanted a Rosea habitat to be modeled exactly, it would be put on sand. (And if someone posted a photo of their Rosea on sand, you know the reaction it would get on the boards.)

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
noticed the pics weren't attached anymore.

Well, it seems as though people in that thread as well had hesitations, and although you managed to convince some them, I think it's all a matter of opinion.

I shared my feelings on the subject from my personal experience, which is what everyone on these boards does.

I personally would not put my T on a sand substrate.

(You're also the last member I would have expected to refer to a T as being 'happy'.)

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah im not putting my t's on sand. it dosent really mater if u do or dont. It should be fine either way but its not my preferanec

Also- nice rosea u got there lol

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
all the seemani ive kept dont seem to appreciate living on dry substrate and will often hover over the water dish when its kept to dry.there from Costa Rica why would u keep them on dry substrate :/

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
all the seemani ive kept dont seem to appreciate living on dry substrate and will often hover over the water dish when its kept to dry.there from Costa Rica why would u keep them on dry substrate :/

Because Costa Rica has both a dry and wet season.
I did state there could be misting.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Because Costa Rica has both a dry and wet season.
I did state there could be misting.
How about keeping one part of the substrate moist and leave the rest dry? That way the spider can choose to his/her preference, and eventually the keeper's gonna see what the T likes.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
it dosent really mater much but keep it slightly moistend but wet but not ultra dry lila lil moist 2 it then let it dry or w.e. it dosent mater really

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How about keeping one part of the substrate moist and leave the rest dry? That way the spider can choose to his/her preference, and eventually the keeper's gonna see what the T likes.
I suppose logically that could work.

Perhaps this is one of those questions that is based purely on personal experience and opinion.

An over flown water bowl every once in awhile has always worked for me in the past. Otherwise kept dry. *shrug*

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A. seemani is more of a grassland tarantula than anything. So I'd do dry to slightly moist substrate. If you really are concerned you could put a pvc pipe in to pour water into the bottom of the substrate and set up a humidity gradient.